Chapter 18- Chain Reaction

The entire outpost sustained heavy damage in the baalcross's attack, much of its frame was deformed and the windows were completely shattered. Most of the equipment meant to aid them in their scientific endeavors now laid damaged or broken entirely. They blocked the windows with whatever they could find and barred the front door, its dented shape rendering it unable to close properly. Once the faint illusion of safety began to return, the group allowed themselves to breathe a little easier.

Averus was resting on a nearby edge of the room, looked after by Danny's concerned gaze. Marshall tried assuring the Doberman that Averus received all care possible and nothing was left to do, but Danny gently told him off every time and continued to sit by his coworker. His pains mostly healed, Rocky found the strength to stand again and entered the nap room to see an old, injured friend.

"This whole thing has gone awry," Rocky said, coming over to Ryder. "We lost our equipment, everyone is wounded, please tell me you have some kind of plan."

"My plan failed," the boy replied, breathing heavily and holding his wounded shoulder. "Now my weapons are empty and Parker is dead, what else could I possibly do?"

"I seem to remember you being quite tenacious when it came to those in need. The Ryder I knew never gave up."

"Yeah, well, times change," he sighed, looking away from the dog. "I'm not... I'm not as strong as I used to be."

"Why though? What did change?"

It was a sharp question that sent a painful twist of sorrow between them, Ryder let out a sigh as utter shame burned under his skin. He refused to say anything for a few seconds, until Rocky was moments away from entirely repeating the question. This was probably the only time he'd ever get a clear answer to the one thing he'd been dying to know, and he wasn't passing up the moment now.

Ryder slowly sat on the floor, sliding his back down the wall. "I guess I just... was in too deep. You help Archline once, and you're tied for life."

"We could've helped you."

"And I really don't doubt that," Ryder shook his head sadly. "But it wasn't what Dutch wanted. I contemplated why I, a living human, was allowing myself to get bossed around by a dog, but I guess in this day and age, true power can come from anyone. My hands were tied, Rocky. There was no going back."

Rocky looked to the ground, stewing in his own pot of guilt and shame. Flicking his eyes back to his old leader, he asked the question he never thought he'd ever say again.

"I need your help."

Ryder glanced back at him with an alarmed expression, bewildered at his words. "You... want my help? After everything?"

"Considering our situation, I don't think it's worth it to dwell on the past right now. And besides," the mix said with a sigh. "I think you're the only one who can do it."

The boy only stared in response, leaning back on the wall as if the question was foreign to him. He ran through the options in his head, silent as if he were scanning the room for invisible threats. Rocky had a point, what was anything worth holding on to past grudges? He always did seem to be the sensible one, at least compared to someone like Chase or Zuma. He hadn't even heard what the favor was yet, there was nothing wrong with simply throwing a dog a bone.

"Alright," Ryder said, holding his hands in resignation. "What is it?"

Leaning in lightly, Rocky spoke with a whisper, anxious for Dutch overhearing him. "I need to reach Chase. He could have the answer to all our problems and I can't talk to him. Dutch cut us off, but did he do the same to you?"