009. The Power Of Love.

"I can't believe it."

"That's Eddie Munson?"

"Okay, settle down. Let's not forget that he's my boss." I said, rolling my eyes.

"He was a little bit of a bad boy in highschool, but damn.... Has he always looked like that?"

"Seriously Shannon, can you calm down, for the love of God? Jesus you come in the store one time and totally forget yourself and forget that I have to work under this guy." I said, internally dying.

"Lucky girl." She said, with a grin.

"Okay, enough. He's actually really quiet, brooding and quite often miserable. And then there's this girl. Paige, I think her name is. They never really seem to go anywhere without each other. She's a little......protective of him. Him? It's not necessarily reciprocated." I said.

"Right. So what's their story then?" She asked, as I shrugged.

"Beats me. I'm just the new receptionist." I said.

"At a record store..... who needs a receptionist for a record store?" Shannon asked.

"One that has a recording booth." I said, rolling my eyes.

"This Paige girl.... She is nice to you, isn't she?" Shannon asked.

"In terms of pretending I barely exist? Sure, she's real nice." I said, with a sigh.

"Why doesn't he say anything?" Shannon asked.

It was rhetorical, I knew that.
But even if it hadn't been, I didn't really have an answer for her.

"Maybe she likes him." Shannon added.

"Maybe." I said.

"Does he like her back, do you think?" She asked.

"I'll ask him when I get to work today." I said.

"Really?" She asked, excitedly.

"No." I answered, with utmost seriousness.

We finished our coffees, and we parted ways on the sidewalk.

She went to her job, and I went to mine.
One I'd had for a couple of weeks.

It had been the last job in the paper I'd circled, totally on a whim.

Like Shannon, I didn't see the need for a receptionist at a record store.

But when Eddie Munson had introduced himself, and given me a tour of the store, he'd shown me a recording booth.

One he'd built himself, to give upcoming bands the chance to record an EP or an album, to hopefully secure them a record deal in the future.

He had glazed over why he was going this far to help local bands, but upon Paige's arrival, she'd not spared any detail.

They'd met in 84.
She was a successful record producer, and they'd met, forging a friendship and a business relationship.

She'd offered Eddie and his band, Corroded Coffin the chance to record an album.

But recording cost money.
Money none of them had, as they were in highschool.

And so that dream had fallen on its face before it had even had a chance to start, to flourish.

Something told me that was why he was often brooding, often quiet and miserable.

It hadn't worked out for him, and he was helping to realise other people's dreams instead.

When I arrived, I sat behind the desk, adjusting my newly hand cropped, hand tie dyed blue and green cardigan, smoothing out my tan high waisted trousers, before firstly checking the diary.