Kapitulo Siete

Felipe's

I SPENT my whole day not even thinking about seeing Rafaelle by the end of it. So, imagine my surprise when my niece suddenly called me to tell me that my friend is here. Hindi ko pinansin ang makahulugang tingin sa akin ni Andromeda nang makalapit ako sa kanila, but I know she knows, the worst part of it is Avo – Avo still believes that I am complete whenever I am with Rafaelle. I don't know about jer, but she always tells us about the lights she sees whenever we are with some people. Avo is a superstitious woman. She was raised in a remote province in Brazil, her grandmother was a Gypsy, and she has passed some of her beliefs in her. Lumaki akong kung ano – anong halaman ang ibinibigay ni Avo sa aming magkakapatid tuwing may sakit kami. She is the typical grandmom who seems to overly care about his grandsons. Hindi ko alam kung mabuti bai yon o kung minsan ay masama.

I sat on the dining chair feeling a bit uncomfortable. Rafaelle was beside me. I'm glad that she is eating well now. I used to have a lot of hard time trying to make her eat. Pili lang ang pagkaing gusto niya. She doesn't like vegetables at all, but I can see her enjoying her salad now. I smiled to myself. Noon ko naman napansing nakatingin sa akin si Andy. Nakangisi siya. I had to ignore the kind of look she is giving me. Hindi maganda ang ibig sabihin noon para sa akin. Napakarami sigurong tanong sa isipan niya and maybe later, she will pester me with her questions, sana lang hindi niya ako kulitin masyado. Huminga ako nang malalim at muling tiningnan si Rafaelle. I smiled again when she asked for another serving. Seeing her eat is really something.

"So, tell me, Rafaelle." Avo spoke. We all looked at the center table, nakatingin nga siya kay Rafaelle habang ngiting – ngiti. "How are you? I haven't seen you in ages. Not that we're close, and I've only met you that one time, but I love to know you more, Mija. I used to always here things about you but Felipe just stopped. And it was news to me when he told me you two broke up. What a waste, Mija. But how are you now?"

Parang hindi alam ni Rafaelle ang sasabihin niya, but the she smiled at Avo and she politely answered.

"Well, I graduated a year ago and now I am busy with my first collection now. I am teaming up with Pan Vejar."

"Oh! Oh! Pan is my cousin!"

"We know, Andy." I deadpanned. Hindi naman niya ako pinansin. Nagpatuloy si Rafaelle sa pagkukwento and I found myself listening to her. I had always like the sound of her voice, it's calm, velvety and sweet – music to my ears, pero pinaalala ko sa sarili kong wala ako sa lugar, na hindi na dapat ako nag – iisip nang ganito. I should've sent Rafaelle home. Dapat wala siya dito, o dapat ako ang umalis but when it comes to her, I didn't have the heart to do that, because deep inside of me, I know that I want to be with her.

"Pan is kind." She smiled. "She understands me." And hearing that felt wonderful. Alam kong walang kaibigan si Rafa, kaya masaya akong natagpuan niya si Pan Vejar.

Avo kept asking her questions which Rafa answered politely, by the end of the conversation, Avo and Andy invited themselves to Rafa and Pan's clothing line launch next month. I just sighed. Nahihiya ako kay Rafaelle, she mus think that the two women in my family is shameless. Napabuntong – hininga na lang ako.

The dinner ended and Andy got up to get the maids. She asked Rafaelle to stay for coffee and cakes, she said yes, kaya nandito naman kami sa living ara, kasama si Avo, Andy at Ruel. My other brothers already left, si Elias Manuel ang pinakaunang umalis. Nagmamadali pa nga siya, must have something to do with the mother of his child – ang batang hanggang ngayon ay hindi niya pa rin nakikita.

"It's getting late." Rafaelle suddenly spoke. Tumingin si Avo sa kanya. I have a feeling na hindi niya pa pauuwiin si Rafa. Alerto naman ako. I know that she likes to talk to her but Rafa – as much as I would like to think – she doesn't belong here anymore. I would've killed for something like this with her years ago, but it's different now. "I should get going."