Kapitulo Quince

Felipe's

"GOOD AFTERNOON, Ma'am." I found Nandiandra Guevarra – Arandia sitting on the ouch inside my office. She was patiently waiting for me. Nang makita niya ako ayu tumayo siya at binigyan ako ng isang matipid na ngiti. I don't know where to sit, but in the end I opted to sit at my swivel chair. Hindi ko talaga maisip kung bakit niya ako pinuntahan rito. Did Yafa told her? Kung oo, anong sinabi niya? Magagalit ba siya sa akin dahil kay Rafaelle at pagsasabihin na layuan ang anak niya? Bakit nga ba si Yafa ang inisip ko. Pamangkin niya si Jaqueline. It could be about her and our recent break up but all in all, kinakabahan ako. I shouldn't even be thinking about this. Si Avo ang dapat kong iniisip. My only focus should be her and her health but I couldn't stop thinking about Yafa. Paano pala kung kasama niya si Atlantis doon ngayon? What if he got her now? Wala naman akong magagawa. I let her go first. Pinagsisisihan ko talaga iyon. I sighed again and again until I realized that Yafa's mother is looking at me. I cleared my throat and gave her a nervous smile.

It was as if I am looking at Rafaelle. I know that Yafa always tells me that she got her looks from her father, pero ngayong tinitigan ko si Nadia Arandia, hindi maipagkakailang anak nga niya si Yafa. She gave me a smile too. Napaka – awkward ng kaganapan dito sa loob ng opisina ko. She cleared her throat and put her hand on her lap as she looks directly to my eyes. Parang si Yafa rin. Tuwing mag – uusap kami ay lagi siyang nakatingin sa mga mata ko. It was only when I am asking her to marry me that she doesn't look at me like that.

"Maybe you're wondering why I am here, Mr. Orejon."

"Yes, Mrs. Arandia. It seems like you wanted to talk to me about something." Maybe it's really about Jaqueline. Of course, she doesn't know about me. Hindi rin sasabihin ni Yafa sa kanya ang tungkol sa akin. She will never do that. I was never the priority – and that's okay because forn Yafa, family always comes first.

"I am here for Rafaelle." Nanlaki ang ulo ko. Am I hearing it right? This is for Rafaelle? Why? What happened to her? Hindi ko mahanap ang mga tamang salitang kailangan ko. I sat there not knowing what will happen.

"My baby girl came home the other night, tired and sad, and broken. I realized that it is all because of..."

Me. Of course. It's because of me. Kung kailan niya ako kailangan ay saka ko siya iniwanan. I wanted to say something, I just well, I couldn't.

"Me." My eyes widened hearing that. Mrs. Arandia sighed. "It's all because of me. I raised her thinking that she will only be mine. Lahat kasi ng mga bagay na minahal at pinanghawakan ko noon ay nawala. Si Yafa ang isang bagay na hindi ko kayang mawala sa akin. I believed that she was the only thing that I will ever have. Hindi ko alam na naipasa ko sa kanya ang lahat ng sakit na nararamdaman ko, so instead of enjoying her childhood, she grew up thinking that she needed to protect me. That she needs to be my strongest soldier because I am weak."

"Rafaelle loves you, Mrs. Arandia."

"Yes. But she loves you two." Muli na naman akong natigilan. Nandia Arandia grinned. "Did you think that it wouldn't catch my attention when she's always leaving at the same month every year? She is my daughter and I want to be involved in everything that she does. So, I had her followed and my men gave your picture. I knew who you are the moment I laid my eyes on you. Pero hindi ako nakialam as long as you make her happy. But now, she's heart broken. She said you asked her to marry you."

"She declined."

"Yes, because she's thinking of me." Muli siyang napabuntong – hininga. "I'm so sorry, mr. Orejon. It is all my fault. If not for me, siguro ay masaya na kayo ni Yafa."

"For Yafa, her family always comes first. You always comes first because she loves you so much. I understand her, it's just at that moment, I felt tired. I kept on asking myself when I will be her priority. Will she ever consider spending her whole life with me. I am getting old, Madame, and I want to settle down, it is her that I want to be with but it was not mutual. I thought that I need to move on. Maybe she has other priorities. But now, I regret everything. Kaya kong maghintay, basta bibigyan niya lang ako ng pagkakataon."

Mrs. Arandia stood up. Napatayo rin ako. She looked so regal and elegant. Just like Yafa.

"Then, if that's the case, you lay your claim, Mr. Orejon. The Hacienda is always open and we are always there. Lay your claim. Get her and make her happy. Give my princess the happiness she deserves."

After that, she left. Naiwan ako sa opisina kong hindi alam ang gagawin. What does she mean by laying claim? How will I do that? Hindi pa nga ako binibigyan ni Rafaelle ng pagkakataon...

But I know she is right. I need to lay my claim. Lalo na ngayon at may Atlantis na umaaligid sa kanya. If she wants to be with him, wala naman akong magagawa, but I will fight. I will never give her up without a fight. Talking to Nandia Arandia fired up the beast in me. I've been thinking twice about it, but now, I am sure that I have a chance. Mother's knows best, and maybe she knows something that Rafaelle, never told me.

Maybe she knew that I have a chance.

xxxx

"FELIPE..."

Avo called me that night. I didn't go home to my condo unit and opted to stay at our home to look after her. After what she told me and Ruel, I don't think I can leave her alone. She needs all the love and the attention she could get. Hindi ko alam kung anong balak ng kapatid ko, pero sabi niya sa akin ay kakausapin niya isa – isa ang mga kapatid namin. They all need to know Abo's health condition. She needs the best doctors. Kung kailangan iuwi namin siya ng Brazil ay gagawin namin. We have all the money in the world. Avo will get the best care.

I smiled at her. We were in the balcony of her room. She was wearing a white shawl around her shoulders. Hinawakan niya pa ang braso ko habang nakatingin sa akin.

"Do you need anything?" I asked her. "Do you want a glass of water?"

"Mijo, I am fine. I have cancer, but I am not invalid. I just want you about Rafaelle. I haven't seen her since that dinner. Did you two fight?"

"Oh, no, she's in Bulacan – a province here in the Philippines. It is where her mom and dad are. She wanted to be with them so she came home."

"Did you really break up? Andy said that you and Jaqueline broke up. Is it true?"

"Yes, Avo." Sabi ko sa kanya. I didn't miss that smile on her face. Alam ko namang ayaw niya kay Jacqueline. In her head, I should be with Rafaelle. Hindi ko nga maintindihan kung paano nasabi sa akin ni Avo na si Rafaelle ang para sa akin. Lumakas ang loob ko noon dahil sa sinabi niya. So, I asked Rafaelle to marry me. But it didn't end well.

"So, are you and Rafaelle going back together?" She asked me again. Tumawa na lang ako.

"I don't know, Avo. Her mom came to see me yesterday."

"Oh! I hope you had a good talk with her mom. How is Rafaelle? I want to see her. I am dying, Mijo. Can't you grant my wish?"

"I'm sure if we tell Rafaelle you want to see her, she will come to you, Avo."

"Are you thinking about her?"

"Yes. I still don't know what to do, Avo. Her mom told me to lay my claim, but how? I want to respect Yafa's space, but I don't want to lose her." Avo cupped my face and made me look at her.

"Then, Felipe, follow your heart. You may not know the answer to a lot of questions, but your heart always knows the answer. Follow you heart, Mijo."

Avo even kissed my forehead.

She's right. I don't need to think about anything. I just need Yafa, and that is why in thye middle of the night, I found myself asking Cindy's brother – in – law. Red Azul to drive me to Hacienda Asuncion.

Wala akong concrete plan. I just know that I need to talk to her and tell her that my intentions are pure and that I will wait – no matter what happens. Red was singing, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel. He seemed to be so cool, while I am here, nervous as wreck but my nerves tripled when Red stopped in front of their home. I swallowed hard.

Bumaba ako ng sasakyan. I walked and walked until I am standing in front of their front door. I knocked three times, the door opened and I saw Rafaelle's father.

Raphael Arandia.

He smiled at me.

"Felipe! Napadalaw ka!"

"Good evening, Sir. I want to marry your daughter."

That was the first and only thoughts in my brain and I managed to say that.

Fuck!