Chapter Two - Frostclaw

Frostclaw followed her leader Talonstar to the Gathering island, while Thornpaw, her apprentice, bounced on his toes as he followed her.

"Do you think RiverClan will bring up our border fights? WindClan needs more territory, so those mange-pelts better not think about challenging us. I hope I see Flickerpaw, from ThunderClan! He's a descendant of Firestar, and so humble for one!"

Frostclaw blocked out her apprentice's aimless chatter as her mind wandered to the last moon. Ever since she had been made deputy as Badgerpelt, the former one retired to the elder's den, she started receiving dreams every second night from a ginger Starclan warrior she deduced was the legendary Firestar, telling her to watch for the 'cat with odd eyes' and the message that cat needed to deliver. The Gathering tonight was her chance to finally get some answers.

She carefully crossed the fallen tree that granted the Clans access to the Gathering island, watching out for Thornpaw as he made his way across. As soon as his pads hit the floor, he dashed over to join some ThunderClan apprentices that welcomed him with a flick of their tails. Frostclaw made her way over to the other deputies, noting the whispers that followed her.

"Did you see? That's Frostclaw, from WindClan. She's rumoured to be the best warrior around the whole lake."

"The white she-cat? She's so wiry I could probably snap her with a twist of my claws."

"Don't bet on that, Stormrider. They say that she took one of Hollowstar's lives as a young apprentice in a border clash."

Wrong, Frostclaw thought to herself, smirking slightly. I almost did, but a good warrior doesn't need to kill to win.

She heard Stormrider's disbelief as she swerved around their group.

"As an apprentice? Really? Hollowstar must've never lived that down."

He didn't, Frostclaw purred, remembering the icy look of grudging respect and annoyance he flashed her every Gathering.

She took a few steps forward, before a small, silver-white she-cat darted in front of her. She was small and trembling, probably a new apprentice, Frostclaw guessed. Then, her eyes narrowed as she took a closer look at the cat in front of her. Weirdly, she had one golden eye and one blue eye.

Shock blazed through the white warrior. This must be the cat Firestar meant, the one with 'odd eyes'.

The she-cat looked up at her. "My name is Crystalpaw, and I think we have to talk."

Frostclaw nodded. "Yes, but not now. My leader, Talonstar, is waiting for me. As soon as the leaders finish announcing news and permit us to start sharing tongues, meet me by that bramble bush."

"Okay," Crystalpaw said, and hurried away.

Frostclaw strode over to where the other deputies were watching their Clanmates and murmuring softly to each other.

"All hail our new deputy," Stormwhisker of ThunderClan greeted her. "Congratulations, you're the youngest I've seen appointed in a while."

"Her destiny was decided for her the moment she beat Hollowstar in battle as an apprentice. I still think it was a lucky swipe," Heronflight, the RiverClan deputy grumbled.

"Don't tease her, Heronflight," Kitefall, a red she-cat from ShadowClan purred. "We she-cats can't help if you beat you lumbering toms in battle." She batted her long lashes. "It might be hard for you, with those clumsy feet."

Robinchest, the SkyClan deputy, swiped at her playfully. "Shush Kitefall, the leaders are speaking."

Nettlestar of ThunderClan spoke first, her mottled brown pelt gleaming with muscles.