Information about the Grey World

If you've just finished 'Allegiances' and have no idea what the Grey World is, then come back later when you're up to that part! This section is not for you. Even if you do need information, I would recommend not using this unless it is a last resort (like if you are really confused or something) because it does contain small spoilers.

For readers who have finished at least Chapter Two/Three and are feeling confused about exactly what the Grey World is, that's what this part is for. The idea that I've had is quite complicated, and although I try my best to explain it in the actual chapters, I do recognise that I probably fall short. 

In the Warrior Cats world, based on the published books (by Erin Hunter), there is StarClan, there is the Living Cats (I call this the Living World), and there is the Dark Forest. Imagine that these is in a Venn Diagram kind of state of mutual existence. So that would look like this:

If you die in the Living World, you go to either StarClan or the Dark Forest

If you die in the Living World, you go to either StarClan or the Dark Forest. That's it. That's what the Warriors universe looks like, according to the original Erin Hunter books. 

According to this series, written by me, there is another layer of existence, and that's called the Grey World. The thing that inspired me to create this were characters such as Spottedleaf, who died while being a StarClan cat. So if one is already dead, then dies again, where does one go? I didn't want it so that these cats were lost forever, so I created a new dimension, the Grey World. Note how the Grey World fits into this diagram (ignoring external factors such as the Moonpool):

 Note how the Grey World fits into this diagram (ignoring external factors such as the Moonpool):

The Grey World is the afterlife for essentially all animals (including humans) other than cats. However, when cats in StarClan/Dark Forest die, they go to the Grey World. 

First, a physical description of what the Grey World looks like.

The Grey World is a reflection of the Living World. It is not like StarClan or the Dark Forest, where that whole afterlife is a world of its own. No, the things that happen in the Grey World is directly parallel to what is going in the Living World. For instance, if a squirrel was to climb up a tree in the Living World, that same squirrel would climb up that same tree in the Grey World. Note that this is not the same the other way around. If a fox that was part of the Grey World stepped on a branch, for example, the same thing would not occur in the Living World. If Crystalpaw ruffles a bush in the Grey World, that same bush would not be ruffled in the Living World. If Crystalpaw rips a bunch of leaves from that bush (in the Grey World), the leaves would not be ripped out in the Living World. In fact, the leaves that she ripped out (in the Grey World) would grow back in a matter of seconds, so that it reflects its Living counterpart. That is to say, then, that damage done in the Grey World is not permanent. It is the final afterlife. Spirits cannot die in the Grey World (unless you are like Crystalpaw or Flickerstorm, who are still living as they enter the Grey World - in which case, if they do die, they will go to StarClan or the Dark Forest, as is customary). However, it would take these spirits a ridiculously long time to regenerate - the human equivalent of about one hundred years. That's why the Grey World always seems to appear empty, and also how it doesn't become too overcrowded.