Chapter Six - Flickerpaw

Flickerpaw was dozing when the RiverClan warrior staggered into camp, his flank scored with claw marks, fur dripping with water.

"Help!" he cried, then collapsed.

Behind him, a WindClan warrior loomed over his small body, wickedly sharp claws unsheathed as she prepared to pounce. However, before she could even launch herself at his body, Stormwhisker, the deputy, leapt out of nowhere and pinned her down.

"Leave," he hissed, then flung her away.

She shot him a look of loathing, and in that moment Flickerpaw sensed that she was holding back her true prowess. Then, however, the white she-cat turned tail and fled out of the gorge.

The RiverClan warrior sighed with relief, looking up with gratitude in his eyes.

"Thank you," he said, pushing himself to his paws. "She had been pursuing me all the way from the RiverClan border."

"You must rest," Stormwhisker said gently.

"He's right," Nettlestar said, emerging from her den. "Once Emberleaf has healed your injuries, you can tell us exactly what you were doing on our territory and being chased by a WindClan warrior. Quickwind, by the looks of it. She's too honourable to be a mouse-brain, so there must be a lot to your story. But for now, rest."

"No!" the RiverClan warrior gasped. "It's important! ShadowClan and WindClan are attacking our territory. They aim to take all of it away and just leave us the stream. Hollowstar sent me to ask for ThunderClan and SkyClan's help. We will soon be overwhelmed - I came as quickly as I could."

Gasps rose from the surrounding ThunderClan warriors, and Flickerpaw felt his breath catch with surprise.

Nettlestar looked grave, her mottled brown fur bristling.

"Stormwhisker!" she called. "Organise a battle patrol right away! Breezewhisper, you're fast. Run to SkyClan and ask for their help."

Breezewhisper nodded, and sped out of camp.

Stormwhisker called out to the warriors. "I want most of you guys with me - but young apprentices will be left in the camp with a few seasoned warriors to defend them, should ShadowClan and WindClan turn to us. Crowmist, Sharpeye, Glarepelt, Squirreltail, Redpelt, Sprinkledawn, Lightningpelt, Quietwhisker, Brackentail, Glimmerpelt, Flickerpaw and Crescentpaw. The rest of you, I'm entrusting you with the safety of this camp. Don't let me down."

He flicked his tail and the warriors followed him and Nettlestar out of camp.

Crescentpaw hurried up to him.

"This is so exciting!" she whispered, her eyes gleaming. "Our first battle!"

"This isn't our first!" he pointed out. "We've fought other Clans before."

"Yeah, but not like this!" she said, bouncing up and down. "This is a real battle!"

Flickerpaw purred, finding her excitement contagious. She shot him a pleased and shy look, brushing against his flank. Suddenly, Flickerpaw felt very, very flustered. Crescentpaw was pretty, with shimmering dark silver fur and soft amber eyes. However, an image of Crystalpaw appeared in his brain, her odd but beautiful eyes, the way her claws flashed as she fought and the delicate paleness of her pelt.

He shook himself, scolding his thoughts. Returning Crescentpaw's affectionate gesture with less enthusiasm, he bounded off.

RiverClan territory was a war zone. Injured bodies lay everywhere, as what was left of the RiverClan patrol fought with every inch of their strength. The look of relief on Hollowstar's face as ThunderClan arrived was palpable.

"ThunderClan, attack!" Nettlestar yowled. "Defend RiverClan from this cowardly alliance and their hunger for power!"

The ThunderClan warriors flung themselves into battle. Flickerpaw scanned the scene and spotted Crystalpaw. His heart leapt.

She was fending off a WindClan warrior much larger than her, leaping twice his height to land on his back and score her claws down his haunches. However, she was tiring fast. Flickerpaw dashed towards her and nipped the warrior on his hind leg, then clamped his jaws around his tail. The warrior shrieked with pain, then barged off.

"Flickerpaw!" Crystalpaw gasped, recognition dawning in her eyes. "Your Clan came!"

Flickerpaw purred. "Of course we did. We couldn't let those flea-pelts rip you apart!"

Crystalpaw flicked his ear teasingly. "We're not a weak Clan, just outnumbered. And we should be fighting, not standing here gossiping like a bunch of elders! Come on! Let's go back to camp. I would love to talk to you later."

"Okay!" Flickerpaw said, dashing after her.

"Stormwhisker!" he yowled. "I'm going with Crystalpaw to help defend the camp."

"Good idea!" the deputy said back. "Crowmist, Sharpeye and Sprinkledawn - go with them."

The three warriors tore themselves away from their opponents, and together, they sprinted to the camp.

As Flickerpaw pushed his way from the gorse, he felt horror prickling beneath his pelt. The few RiverClan warriors left were severely injured and outnumbered by the ShadowClan warriors. Elders and queens were fighting as well, and kits ran around unrestrained, claw marks on their flanks. Streamheart, the medicine cat, and her apprentice Chervilpaw dashed around, pulling unconscious cats into the medicine den while their own fur dripped with blood.

"This is horrible!" Crowmist murmured, his dark eyes clouded with rage. "ShadowClan has less honour than rogues! ThunderClan, fight and defend the warrior code!"

Flickerpaw pelted off into battle, Crystalpaw at his heels.

Together, they fought off several warriors - brushing aside their inexperience and using their weight to overwhelm them. However, it was exhausting business - which was why Flickerpaw felt so glad when he heard the throaty yell of Swoopstar, leader of SkyClan.

"SkyClan cats, attack!"

The ShadowClan cats looked up in alarm as SkyClan flew off the trees like birds, landing on their shoulders and ripping their fur into shreds.

Marshstar looked furious as he watched his warriors struggle, while his deputy, Kitefall, glared down with equal anger.

"Retreat, ShadowClan!" Marshstar yowled, trying to make himself heard over the noise. "Retreat!"

Flickerpaw felt a breath of relief rush through him - and before long, ShadowClan had left, leaving only a scattered camp behind.

Crowmist nodded to Swoopstar, as Hollowstar and the rest of the RiverClan warriors burst into the clearing.

Hollowstar dipped his head to Swoopstar and Nettlestar.

"Thank you," he said. "You have no idea how much you saved us. RiverClan will hold a feast in your honour - come back at sundown the next day, and bring all the cats that can travel. Perhaps this is the optimal time to try fish!"

Nettlestar purred. "Maybe we will, but don't forget to add some good old squirrels to the mix!"

"And birds!" Swoopstar added. "My warriors will bring some prey as well. This was a team effort."

"As will mine," Nettlestar said quickly, as if not to be outdone.

"I would hate to ask any more favours of you," Hollowstar said quietly, looking down as if slightly ashamed. "I was wondering if you could spare a medicine cat. My warriors were grievously injured by this cowardly attack, and Streamheart and her apprentice are about to be overrun."

"Of course!" Nettlestar said. "You may borrow Thrushwing. He was recently made a full medicine cat, and would be delighted to help you. I will send him as soon as my warriors get back to camp."

Hollowstar purred his thanks. "I will see you tomorrow."

On the way back, Flickerpaw brimmed with excitement. A feast! And a chance to see Crystalpaw! He hadn't forgotten how well they had worked together, and he was looking forward to seeing her again.