Chapter 5

Fireworks. 

That's what kissing Alexia felt like to James. Midnight on New Years. 

They pulled away for air, and his heart dropped when he saw Alexia's distressed expression. Had he done something wrong? No, no this was Alexia. She is confused, and not of this earth. Human customs and manners are different. 

"James I- I do not understand." She tilts her head, "You- We are not getting married, or courting." 

Bucky chuckles, running a hand down her arm for comfort. "Lexie, on Earth kissing doesn't mean much. But if you don't want it to happen again, it won't. Simple as that." 

"I think I liked it." She murmurs, then moves to sit down in front of the lake. There were fireflies all around, and the grass was slightly damp but it didn't matter. 

Being in the woods has always made James feel small. When he was younger, him and his father would hike to the woods with the fishing poles and the little bait they could afford and James always felt like the trees made him seem tiny. The world was so large and the woods always made him realize that. There is so much out there that he will never get to see, and there is so much that will be created that he will never get to experience. Somehow, existing in between the trees, the sky, and the lakes made him aware of that. 

His thoughts run wild, and he takes a seat next to her. He pulls her closer to him, letting her rest onto his shoulder. "Where do you think we'll be in eighty years? I mean, probably dead. I guess I mean where do you think the world will be?" He thinks out loud. 

"I will still be alive." She hums, "I do not age the same as you or Steve. I will probably only have aged...five years." 

"Oh." 

"Yes. I have seen the world...in many stages. I am over one thousand years old, on Olympus I'm considered a child." 

"Hell, I'll be lucky if I reach one hundred." He chuckles. 

She frowns, "Do not speak like that, James. Do not make me think of losing you. Without you, Steve, Peggy, and Howard I have nobody left." 

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. Would you rather me talk like I'll be here in one hundred years?" 

"Yes." She deadpans, causing James to laugh. "In one hundred years...Perhaps we will be married." She says, and James tries to hide his shock. Marriage is not the same thing to her as it is to him. 

"I think that there will be flying cars." He grins, "Cars are these things that-" 

"I know what a car is." 

"Okay. Sorry." 

They talk for the rest of the night. They speak of various things, and James finds himself falling for Alexia harder and harder. She is so sure of everything she says. There is no hesitation on her thoughts. 

They watched the sun set, and somehow forgot they were in the middle of hiking back to camp. Of course, the calm mindset only lasted for that night because Steve managed to find them. "Oh- uh- you- we- we're only about two miles from camp now. We should get going." He stutters, and then walks away quickly. 

Alexia and James laugh, and get up to leave. 

The walk did not take too long. Once they got back to camp, all eyes were on them. Steve, James, and Alexia were leading the 107th. They stopped in front of Colonel Phillips, and Steve immediately says; "Some of these men need medical attention." He looks around to all of the men around, "I'd like to turn myself in for disciplinary action." 

The colonel shakes his head, "That won't be necessary." 

Steve look confused, "Sir I-" 

"How many orders do you plan on disobeying?"