PUTTING THE PIECES TOGETHER

Note: this chapter has been rewritten because the previous version did not fit with what I had planned, nor was it what I was looking for or thinking of. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy it!

– we return to your irregularly scheduled program! –

Time is a seemingly never-ending loop of pain and darkness. Thunderhoof's increasing spark attacks are concerning for all parties involved, especially since no one knows what is causing them. The toll it takes on the Cervicon is great, forcing countless recharge cycles.

Long after Thunderhoof stopped counting – which he was doing up until somewhere in the twenties – did things take a different turn. Instead of pitch black nothingness, he was overcome by a blinding white light. The veil fell to present a memory.

Thunderhoof strolling through Nova Terra's woods, no destination in mind. Something is knocking on his gears, though, if his furrowed optical ridges and hiked shoulder plates are anything to go by. He grumbles and scuffs the earth beneath his hooves. He tilts his helm ever so slightly to avoid hitting his antlers on the surrounding trees.

Unbeknownst to the Cervicon, someone is following him.

Thunderhoof and his shadow traverse unmarked paths to a shallow river. They follow the river's path upstream, where it runs off from a deep pool at the base of a waterfall. Thunderhoof makes a noise, a sort of humming sound, and scans the area. His shadow crouches behind a tree, perfectly still on moss-covered stones.

However, their presence doesn't go unnoticed for long.

"Yous gonna show yourself, or do I have to drag your aft out here myself?" Thunderhoof warned, stretching his neck cables and cracking his knuckles.

A playful laugh escapes the mech following Thunderhoof before he rises to his full height and steps out of the shadows.

"I must be losing my touch..." Phantomjaw stepped up to Thunderhoof and placed his claws on his hips. "There's no way you're that good!"

"I know I am, but that ain't it," Thunderhoof snorted, a wry smile forming. "Yous wanted me to know you were followin' me. Part of one of your little games."

Phantomjaw chuckled.

"I can't help it that you're my favorite bot to play around with! I can only pester my brother for so long before things become not worth it for a while."

The black and white Lupicon vented and crossed his arms, staring at nothing in particular.

"Steeljaw and I have spent more time apart than together. Even when we are together, we can only tolerate each other for a certain amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, but a whole scrapheap worth of problems has been built-up between us, and trying to topple it or circumvent it or however you want to describe it as is..."

"Somethin' yous should discuss with Steeljaw and not me," Thunderhoof interrupted, mood instantly souring. He doesn't have the will or patience to deal with the Lupicon brothers' problems.

"I don't care what happens between you two. I don't want any part of it."

"You're kind of already a part of it," Phantomjaw said, rubbing the back of his neck and looking off to the side in preparation for the soon-to-come outburst.

"What the frag is that supposed to mean?" Thunderhoof snapped, turning on his companion.

Phantomjaw flinched. He quickly recovered, and rubbing an ear, looked at Thunderhoof.

"Well, first and foremost, there's your history with my brother..."

"Not my choice."

"You stuck with him regardless."