THE HAUNTING

Note: yes, the title of this chapter is inspired by the Rescue Bot's episode "The Haunting of Griffin Rock" in the second half of Season 1. Why? Well, let's see y'all figure it out! Also, if you haven't read the rewritten Chapter 19, then please go do so before continuing! Enjoy!

– the next day –

{RISE AND SHINE, MY GOOD LITTLE TEST SUBJECT!}

"Huh? What?" Bumblebee startled awake, back plating scraping against the wall. His optics fluttered open to see the laboratory before him, but something was off.

The humans, normally running around with clipboards and coffee in their hands, are just standing around, staring at Bumblebee. Most are dressed in combat gear and are holding weapons, except for one. The human in particular appears to be a textbook mad scientist, complete with the crazy hair and eyes, and even a mechanical hand thrown into the mix.

"Uh..."

{Who am I? Why, I am Doctor Arkeville, of course! The greatest scientific mind in the world! At least, of the century. Well, chop-chop, we don't have all day! We're running severely behind schedule! Not to speak ill of our leading lady when she isn't around, but honestly, she really doesn't have what it takes to get any of this done. Don't tell her I said that, though. I would hate to lose this job.}

"Wait, slow down!" Bumblebee said, raising a servo to halt the incoming information. "What do you mean your Captain isn't around? Where is she?"

{To directly quote her – "I have a personal matter to attend to that isn't any concern of yours" – and then she left me in charge!}

One of the men standing next to the Doctor leaned over and whispered something in his ear.

{Yes, yes, I know she didn't actually put me in charge, but her commander, who was originally left to head things around here, decided to let me have free reign!}

Another human openly voiced their concern with that statement. The Doctor rolled his eyes.

{I'm not going to kill them! I'll just get as close as I can.}

A chill ran down Bumblebee's spinal strut. He reached out to Thunderhoof, either to comfort him or to be comforted, but all he felt was air. His internal Energon froze.

No... No no no no... Please no!

Bumblebee jumped to his pedes and looked around the cell.

It was just him.

No Thunderhoof.

Bumblebee circulated his vents and clenched his fists. Expression going hard, he turned on the humans. He approached the barrier and glared down at his captors.

"Where is he?"

{Oh, don't worry about your friend! He's fine, for now. Just needed to separate you two for a while! So, shall we begin?}

"No! I refuse to do anything if you've harmed him! Your Captain and I had an agreement!"

The Doctor laughed, then started messing with the controls.

{In case you haven't noticed, the lady isn't here to protect you!}

Suddenly, a holo-screen fizzled to life in the corner of the cell, showing Thunderhoof lying on his front, wrist cuffs locking him to the floor. A large ray comes into view, charges, and shoots a beam of energy at his back. Bumblebee looked on, horrified. It didn't get any better from there.

{You know, this picture is missing an important piece.}

In seconds, the room is filled with the agonized screams of a mech suffering excruciating pain.