28. Temptations

Klaus

Klaus.

He possessed the power to ignite the world with a blazing fire. Without a moral thought within his conscience, he does. Each of the seven deadly sins he possessed, he was. The devil himself. A skilful poison.

Yet he guards Brielle with unwavering protection. Never letting a single flame of his torment burn her. The devil, always procuring his angel. And If they tried taking her from him...he'd seize the core of the world with his bare hands.

The angel herself, unable to shake the lingering emotion, couldn't fathom potentially why he'd harm anyone but her. Everyone but her. A tale that intertwined noble order and dark desire, weaving a delicate tapestry of fear and fixation. A paradox that tugs at her heart, leaving her in a state of both comfort and unease.

To what extent are the boundaries of his protection?

. . . . .

Brie laced up her running shoes, ready to hit the pavement and let the rhythm of her footsteps wash away the tension she had been feeling. She stepped outside, the crisp air filling her lungs, when suddenly, she heard a familiar voice behind her.

"And where do you think you're going?" Klaus's voice cut through the silence.

Brie turned around to face him, "I'm going for a run."

"Absolutely not. You're insane to think you're running with that gash on your abdomen." Klaus's eyes deepened, a flicker of possessiveness appearing on his face.

"I need some fresh air and a clear mind."

"You've got it." His ignorant grin slathered his lips, tugging on her arm. "Now you can go back inside."

Pulling away, her tired eyes hardened. Klaus' eyes rolled before narrowing as he studied her. "Running away won't solve anything, Brie."

"If you're going to blame me for something Nik, do it."

Klaus's frustration was evident as he took a step closer, his voice tinged with a hint of vulnerability. "You went behind my back. You helped my sister when I explicitly told you not to. I can't just let that slide."

"It's called choices. Everyone has them and I won't let you make me feel this way for picking mine." Brie's eyes softened, expressing a new tiredness. "I couldn't stand by and watch someone suffer when I had the power to help."

"You still don't see it do you?"

"See what? That you put Rebekah in that- in that coffin because it felt good! That it felt good to strip marcel of any yearning! To have some sort of leverage over him?"

"I've never once lied about not enjoying it. Never once lied about not being a good person, Brielle. Never."

"Brielle? Right, so that's where we stand?"