5 years old

Hi! I'm Calypso, a 5 year old Australian Shepard living in Brisbane. I live with my parents in a nice apartment building. I should be happy. I should love living with my parents.

But I don't.

My parents are very short tempered, strict, impatient people that care about money more than their own daughter. They like to fight a lot, making me a very anxious child. But luckily, I'm starting school today, so I'll be able to escape from home for a little while. Maybe I could even make a friend or two!

My dad pretty much shoved me out of the car, but I just took it in my stride and headed into school. 

"Hello! You must be Calypso! I'm Mrs Collie, and I'm going to be your pre-primary teacher! Can I meet your parent that dropped you off today?", a lady asked me at the front of my classroom. She was a beautiful border collie with black spots and a lovely fluffy coat. 
"My dad already left Mrs Collie!", I explained, smiling kindly. 

Mrs Collie looked intrigued, but left her curiousness to the side. 
"It's so nice to meet you Calypso! Come in!", she beckoned. 

As soon as all the other kids had arrived, we played a game where we sat in a circle, getting to know each other. When it got to me, I knew exactly what to say. 

"Hi! My name is Calypso! I'm an Australian Shepard, and I like music and playing games!"

Mrs Collie looked happy at my answer. I noticed the girl next to me was very shy, and only a few people could hear her speak. 

"My name... is... Brandy. I'm a... red heeler... and... I like... dancing... and drawing...", she mumbled. When I smiled at her, she shyly looked away. 

"Thanks Brandy! You kids go and eat your morning tea! I'll get the next game ready!", Mrs Collie explained. I excitedly went over to my bag. What snack do I get on my first day EVER of school?!

Nothing. 

I get nothing. 

My parents packed me nothing. 

I was hungry, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. I could still make a friend! What about... that Brandy girl? She seemed nice! 

I found her playing with a pony soft toy. 

"Hi! I'm Calypso! I like your toy!", I said.

"It's from my mum...", she replied shyly. She turned back to play with her toy, leaving me with no idea what to say next. I quickly grabbed a straw hat from the table next to me, and put it on. 

"Do you want to play cowboys?", I asked. When Brandy nodded, I smiled. 

I have a friend!