15 years old Part 2

Brandy offered me a chocolate from the gift basket I gave her, but I declined.
At first, we sat in awkward silence. We both didn't know how to say anything that would make up for the last two years.
"Are you okay?", I asked. Brandy nodded.
"I'm here for you, Brandy. Always. You're safe here.", I assured her. Heavy silence hovered over us until Brandy finally spoke up.
"I refused to see my mum. In her final days. I felt disgustedly guilty. I haven't been eating or sleeping well for years. And I can't remember the last time I relaxed.", she confessed.
"It's okay, Brandy. Maybe... it's a good thing?", I said. With the look of surprise on Brandy's face, I chose my next words very carefully.
"Maybe your choice not to expose yourself to that kind of trauma might have actually helped with your healing? You didn't see how frail and broken she was. Your last memories you have of her are of her alive and well, riding on horseback, and strumming the guitar."
I didn't dare say her name.

Brandy stayed silent, letting the words sink in. It didn't make much sense at the time, but they did bring a sense of comfort. And the thought that we were friends again was enough for me. And maybe that was enough all together. 

Sorry for the short chapter!- 27quil