Chapter 22

Author note: you guys are very insistent, but you're right.. you deserve to see more of Beau and Oliver. 

So here you go...

***

I pull myself out of the water with shaky arms and Andy is pulling me into a hug the moment I'm out, he's cheeks split into the biggest grin. "Guess you did it, huh."

"Did what?" I wheeze, still breathing hard. Lungs gone and muscles done for. This race hit different, I felt like I was racing with more heart, and my body is really feeling it now.

"Beat Oliver."

Oh..

Really?

For the first time ever, that race wasn't about beating Oliver. It wasn't about beating the others, but racing myself—racing for myself. Doing the best I can do. Guess this is just a bonus on the side, but this race wasn't about that.

"I never doubted you," Andy says with a puffed chest, "believed it all along, ya know." He rambles on more crap about how he knew this day would come. 

I roll my eyes knowing he's full of shit, but can't wipe the smile, "whatever."

My eyes widen slightly, only fully realising it now. Wait.. if I I beat Oliver (who no one beats) does that mean...

"Andy.. who won?"

I didn't think it was possible for his grin to get any bigger. But it does. "Don't let it explode your ego."

My jaw goes slack.

No...

Really?

I actually won? Nationals? I don't have much time to process because Coach pulls me into a massive hug, uncaring that I'm going to make his clothes wet.

"You flew kid, I've never seen you fly through the water like that before."

Swimming without a weight holding you down does that.

***

Coach wouldn't stop smiling. Mum texted me like a million times with a range of weird emojis that expressed how happy she was for me, and would have been regardless if I won or not. 

The team placed 2nd overall, which everyone is pretty stoked with. Andy swam really well, unfortunately just missing out of the medals. Quinn took out the female competitions, and has been following Andy around like a lovesick puppy to most peoples surprise. She gets a lot of attention from guys, but seems like she's tunnel vision for Andy, who is currently pretty oblivious to it. Poor guy doesn't know what he's in for.

And I... I feel so much lighter. As light a a feather. Swimming is a sport, but that swim—that felt freeing. Like years of therapy in one race. 

An arm slings around neck pulling into the persons firm side as we walk down hallway. "You did good buddy"

I turn my head to look at him. His hair still damp and content smile on his face."Yeah? That's all I get." I tease. 

Oliver leans down closer to my ear, "gold looks hot on you babe." He says before teasingly biting my earlobe. 

I shiver, cheeks no doubt reddening.

"Mm, that's exactly why I've been working my arse off to get it you know, to show people just how good it looks on me. Think it's really my colour."

He rolls his eyes, but he's grinning.

My phone buzzes. Glances down to see my Fathers name flash.

"You gonna take that?" Oliver asks.

I shove my phone back in bag. "Nah."

I got everything I need right here.

He smiles at me, pulling me even closer to him. We continue on, walking out the indoor swimming building trailing a little behind the team. 

I think the team got the memo Oliver and I are something after the race, when he picked me up and spun me around before promptly pressing his lips to mine, (to my total shook and embarrassment). But I'm weak for the guy and quickly forgot about the world around me and melting into his warmth. Him heating me inside out, his excitement for my win, his never ending support—god I really like the guy. 

"—just so I'm prepared, how long are you gonna hold this win over me?" Oliver says, breaking me out of the memory, arm still slung over my shoulders as we walk to the exit, a teasing smile on his lips. 

I grin up to him. "I wouldn't hold your breath."

He smirks, eyes glinting. "I wouldn't dream of it."

[The Real End. Hopefully.]