[14] A Discovered Story

"Three seconds. I suggest you start running."

As soon as those words left his lips, a bright glow stretched vastly across the sky and brightly illuminated down below. The ethereal and polished blue hue mixed in with the monochromatic saturation of the city provided both an eerie and paranormal atmosphere.

Everyone's gaze, including yours, directed up above. Large blue holographic projections were scattered across the sky, each one showing a high angle of what was happening right this moment. In other words, they were like floating TV screens showing live footage of the SF trial.

The screen didn't only show the candidates where you were currently, but also from other points of the abandoned city as there were multiple buses that departed for the trial and each crashed at different points of the city. Honestly, even after finishing the game you still couldn't fathom how the TDD managed to create something so advanced. Eve sure is something.

Murmurs arose from the candidates as some looked at the screens in awe. You couldn't blame them. Even though you already witnessed the sight in-game, you were suppressing the temptation to let your inner Anomalous fan out at how cool the futuristic holographic screens looked.

Alright... Elias said to run, right?

Pushing your dominant foot back and the other foot forward whilst bending your legs, you exhaled slowly and wisps of smoke left your lips due to the frigid air. You looked straight ahead, mind and senses focused.

I'll be borrowing the wolf's strength for a bit.

A surge of power coursed through your legs and you pushed your feet off, wind hitting your face as you sprinted past Elias––not before making a fraction of a millisecond of eye contact with him––and headed straight towards the apparitions. With every stride of your leg, strength intoxicated your body and with every leap you took, you almost believed for a second you could reach up and touch the holographic screens high above the sky.

A collapsed building captured your attention and you made a quick stop, expertly shifted your direction, and ran towards it. Adrenaline wildy overflowed your body like a strong and uncontrollable current. It made parkouring your way up to the top of the building almost child's play.

The mist began to become more prominent, obscuring your vision and blurring your pathway up. Trusting your instincts, you jumped and were glad to find your hands latching onto the edge of the top of the building. And, with great strength, you pulled yourself up.

Alright, now you had a high view of the apparitions and the mist was hiding you from the cameras. It wasn't like they were omnipresent. There were blindspots and ways to hide from them just like any regular camera. You weren't overly cautious about hiding your ability, it was inevitable that it will be found out, but it was better to not reveal it too early on while you were still unsure of it yourself.

A nervous chuckle came from you when you were face to face with one of the apparition's. The mist that surrounded it only made it's grotesque features a lot more terrifying. And the fact that it was just staring at you with an unsettling grin did not help. It's size easily towered over you. You were basically a speck of dust compared to it.

However, the size difference can be a good thing. The trick to deal with the larger ones is to keep moving. Yes, their screams are incredibly painful and will literally render you imobile at this range, but it takes time for the apparition to take action. Consistent movement will impede them from screaming since they needed to lock onto you first in a fixated place.

"Okay, the next difficult thing," you mumbled. "Using my ability that I barely know the details of to deal with them."

Apparitions are a manifestation of one's self preservation, one's strong desire to live, so strong to where it transcends death and allows a second life an apparition. However, these apparitions weren't created quite like that. Long story short, they were forced to keep living even though they wanted to pass on.