Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Preparations

Ayanokoji's POV

It's the initial weekend of May. Ike and the others began to pay attention to the teachers quietly. Only Sudou remained dozing off during class, yet nobody intervened. Due to the lack of a proven method for improving our scores, Sudou's actions remained unchanged.

When everyone stood up to head to lunch, Hirata initiated a conversation.

Hirata: The test that Chabashira-sensei mentioned is coming up soon. Everyone understands that they'll have to drop out of school if they receive failing marks. So, I think that it would be best if we form study groups.

It looks like the hero of Class D decided to start a charity project.

Hirata: If you neglect your studies, you'll immediately receive failing grades and drop out. I want to avoid that situation. Studying isn't solely for avoiding that situation, because there is also a high possibility that our test scores are reflected on our points. If we get high grades, the assessment of our class would probably go up. I asked some of the people who got good grades to help out. So, I would like people who are worried about their grades to come participate in the study group. Of course, everyone is welcome to join.

Hirata fixed his gaze on Sudou as he delivered his speech.

Sudou: ... Tch.

Sudou shifted his gaze, folded his arms, and shut his eyes. Ever since Sudou declined Hirata's offer to introduce himself, their relationship had soured.

Hirata: From 5 p.m. today until the day of the test, I plan to study every day for 2 hours in this classroom. If you have any thoughts of participating, please come. Of course, it's fine if you have to leave halfway. That's all.

Upon hearing this, several students with low grades stood up and approached Hirata.

Sudou, Ike, Yamauchi, and Masayuki were the only ones who stayed behind. Ike and Yamauchi hesitated briefly, but ultimately refrained from joining him.

I wasn't certain if they were fearful of upsetting Sudou or simply envious of his popularity.

Timeskip

Horikita: Are you available for lunch? Would you like to have lunch together?

During the break, Horikita approached me and asked.

Ayanokoji: An invitation from you is uncommon. I feel a bit anxious for some reason.

Horikita: There's nothing to be afraid of. I can treat you to the vegetable set if you're okay with that.

Isn't that a free meal...?

Horikita: Just kidding. I will genuinely buy you whatever you wish to eat.

Ayanokoji: Quite suspicious. Is there a catch of some sort?

Given that Horikita invited me to have a meal with her, I can't help but feel doubtful. I remember Horikita mentioning something like that before.

Horikita: If we were always suspicious of everyone else's true intentions, society wouldn't work, right?

Ayanokoji: Well, that's true, but...

Since I had no other plans, I followed Horikita to the cafeteria.

Timeskip
Classroom 1-D

Masayuki's POV

After going to my room to make my own lunch, I returned to the classroom. I was currently turning off my phone and get off my earphones to stop listening to music.