Prologue: A Story

Standing in the library, your father bought for you, you smile. This place was your second home, but you were running out of books and room. Your ears flop, before you hear a noise and perk them back up. Looking around the room you wonder who's there till you hear a voice. A familiar light but low voice, "I have a story for you." Your father pats the seat next to him, and smiles, when you look over. You got the memo, your father wasn't one to wanna tell stories.

You sit down gently next to your father, and your curiosity peaks as his expression changes to a proud one. "A story?" You look around the small room while asking, "but I've read all the books here."

"Not all of them," your father states softly while taking out a worn looking book with a wood cover from his bag, which you hadn't noticed was there at your feet. "This one is a book I wrote partly myself," he says as gesturing the book out to you. Your father's ears perk up as you take the book almost a bit greedily. He nods softly as you look at the book then back up at him.

"You really wrote a book?" You tilt your head to the side while asking, your fluffy Wolf-Tiger ears flopping to the side. Your father smiles and pats your head, before twisting his body a bit and placing his left hand on the book. He hugs you from the side, having wrapped his arm around your shoulders.

"It's a magical diary from when I was 18," he smiles a little brighter at your awed expression. This was unexpected because he didn't like sharing things, especially personal ones. You stare at the diary before slowly turning it and looking at the lock. You tilt your head finding there isn't a keyhole. "Magic," your father whispers softly from next to you. You look up at his bright eyes and disheveled hair and tilt your head. "Use your magic," your father chuckles at your new expression showing your obvious unraveling of the fact.

You had magic? "Magic?" You tilt your head a bit more to the side confused. You didn't have magic did you? Your mother is an Elf, but you never have felt nature like he does... your mother lived on Earia at the moment trying to rebuild the empire. He is a Halfie and at the moment in his male form... you used to call him dad, but decided better of it and call him mother now.

Your mind drifts at the thought, and you go over the things you learned about Elves. Elves were magical creatures mostly related to humans. While most Elves had one gender, others... had more. These others were called Halvies because of their ability to shift from male to female. Like many creatures though they only ever shifted if there was a need to, and from a young age decided what gender they liked most. Your mother had evidently liked to be male, so... yeah. Mother but also dad. You didn't mind though even if it was confusing, and you still don't understand his reasoning for almost never shifting genders.

Your mind snaps back to reality having heard your father speak. "Yes, magic, you can do it," your father places his hand on yours and smiles. You look down at the book studying it carefully before focusing on trying to summon magic, trusting your father's words, while closing your eyes. You feel something shift under your fingertips and hear a slight click. Opening your eyes you gasp, and look down at the open diary before looking up and smiling at your father, him doing the same from where he was sitting next to you.

Your father nods and gets up patting your head softly in the process. He smiles, and exits the room nodding at you before he leaves. "I knew you had it," your father smiles proudly before leaving. Your smile widens, and as you get to reading the new story.