Chapter 3

As Daehan was guided towards the crown prince's chambers later that night, each step weighed heavily on his heart, the sense of foreboding growing with every passing moment. With a trembling hand, he pushed open the door and stepped inside, feeling as though he was walking towards his own demise.

His eyes met Youngjae's as he entered the room, the sight of the crown prince sitting on the bed, his robe open to reveal his chiselled abs and the intricate dragon tattoo adorning his chest, causing Daehan's breath to catch in his throat. 

Daehan bowed respectfully before Youngjae, his heart pounding in his chest as he awaited instructions.

"Close the door and come here," Youngjae instructed, his voice carrying an undeniable authority.

Daehan obeyed, his hands trembling as he reached for the door, pulling it shut with a soft click. With hesitant steps, he approached Youngjae, who gestured for him to sit beside him on the bed.

As Daehan settled beside him, Youngjae's gaze bore into him with intensity. "I heard Princess Jiyoon come to your chambers," he stated, his voice low and controlled.

Daehan nodded silently, his pulse quickening as he braced himself for Youngjae's next question. "What did she say?" Youngjae inquired, his tone betraying a hint of curiosity tinged with suspicion.

Daehan's heart raced as he conveyed his encounter with Princess Jiyoon through sign language and gestures. "She was being strange... She suggested I don't deserve your protection because I'm imperfect," he began, his movements reflecting the tension in the air. "She claimed the future empress should be like her... that you deserve a bride as flawless as her, Your Highness."

Youngjae's reaction was swift, his initial surprise giving way to a derisive scoff. "Perfection and she are polar opposites," he retorted dismissively, his disdain evident in his tone.

Daehan's gaze fell, his hands gesturing with a sense of resignation. "But, Your Highness, I can't help but think she's right. I'm not suitable for you..." he admitted softly, the weight of inadequacy heavy upon him.

Youngjae's glare bore into Daehan, the intensity of his gaze leaving no room for argument. "It is I who decides who is suitable for me and who is not! You just do as I say," he declared firmly, his words leaving no room for negotiation.

Daehan swallowed hard, his throat dry with apprehension as he nodded in acquiescence to Youngjae's command.

Youngjae studied him for a moment before speaking again, his tone more measured this time. "Listen, I'll be very honest with you... I don't know how my previous brides died, but my third bride passed away shortly after the consummation ceremony. Therefore, I'm unwilling to take any risks. I want to postpone the consummation ceremony with you for now, until I've uncovered the truth behind these deaths," he explained, his words carrying a weight of caution and concern.

Daehan's heart clenched at the revelation, a mixture of relief and apprehension flooding through him as he absorbed Youngjae's decision. Though grateful to be spared from the consummation ceremony, the realization of the danger lurking in the shadows cast a long shadow over his newfound reprieve.

"However, I want you to do something for me," Youngjae stated, fixing his gaze on Daehan with a seriousness that demanded attention.

Daehan nodded in acknowledgement, his curiosity piqued by Youngjae's request.

"Since you're mute, many people will speak freely in front of you, assuming you cannot convey anything to me," Youngjae continued, his tone deliberate. "So, I want you to act as my spy. Just as you informed me about what Princess Jiyoon said to you, I want you to do the same whenever you overhear something of significance... understood?" he instructed, his voice brooking no argument.