Chapter 8

❗️TW: Violence❗️

__________________________________________

Daehan drew in a shuddering breath, his heart still racing as he struggled to regain his composure. With a heavy heart, he sank onto the bed, his eyes glazed with unshed tears as he stared blankly at the door, lost in a whirlwind of emotions.

As the tears continued to stream down his cheeks, Daehan retrieved the fake letter from his pocket, clutching it tightly in his trembling hands. Anger simmered within him, fueling his resolve as he contemplated the deceit that had led him to this point.

In the midst of his turmoil, the entrance of the maids brought a momentary interruption. They entered the room with bowed heads, their presence a stark reminder of the rigid hierarchy that governed every aspect of his life. "Your Highness," they murmured in unison, their voices soft and deferential, "the crown prince has instructed us to attend to the cleaning of your chambers."

Daehan nodded in acknowledgement, his gaze shifting to the maids as they began their task. With gentle hands, they meticulously gathered the scattered gold and diamonds, their movements careful and deliberate. As they cleansed the precious jewels of his blood, a strange sense of detachment washed over Daehan, an inexplicable numbness that clouded his thoughts.

Watching them return the treasures to their rightful place in his wardrobe, Daehan felt a pang of something unfamiliar stirring within him. It was a complex blend of gratitude and resentment, mingled with a profound sense of emptiness that left him feeling adrift in a sea of uncertainty.

The arrival of the royal physician brought a new presence into the room, his bow a respectful acknowledgement of his duty. "Your Highness," he addressed Daehan with reverence, "the crown prince has sent me to attend to your injuries. May I examine your wounds?"

Daehan nodded silently, his eyes betraying the pain he endured as he gestured towards his injured feet. With careful hands, the physician began his ministrations, his touch gentle yet assured as he cleansed and dressed the wounds with soothing medicines.

As he worked, a soft smile graced the physician's lips, his eyes reflecting a depth of understanding beyond his profession. "Your Highness, it is not my place to comment on such matters. However, having witnessed the crown prince's journey from childhood to the man he is today, I can attest to his deep regard for you." A gentle smile graced the physician's lips, his words offering a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness that enveloped Daehan's heart.

Daehan's eyes widened in disbelief at the unexpected revelation, a flicker of emotion stirring within him as he struggled to reconcile the physician's words with the harsh reality of his recent ordeal.

As the physician diligently tended to Daehan's wounds, the maids respectfully bowed and withdrew from the room, leaving them in a cocoon of privacy. With gentle hands, the physician continued his ministrations, his touch imbued with both expertise and compassion.

"He has never shown such strictness with his previous consorts," the physician remarked softly, his voice carrying a tone of understanding. "The crown prince's palace has never been under such heavy guard. It is clear that he is determined to protect you at all costs, which is why he resorts to such strict measures." He paused, his expression conveying a mixture of empathy and insight. "Though his methods may seem harsh, there is no denying his concern for your well-being. If he did not care for you deeply, he would not have sent me here." With a gesture of kindness, he offered Daehan some arnica to alleviate his pain, his actions a testament to his genuine concern for the young consort's well-being.

As Daehan accepted the medicine, his mind swirled with conflicting emotions. The physician's words echoed in his thoughts, their implications weighing heavily on his weary mind. Despite his disbelief, exhaustion claimed him, and as the effects of the arnica took hold, he succumbed to the pull of sleep.