Chapter 5

❗️TW: Violence❗️

___________________________________________

"That may be ginger tea, but the Crown Princess has traces of pennyroyal in her bloodstream," the physician asserted, his tone grave as he addressed Youngjae. "Your Highness, pennyroyal is a poisonous herb used as a contraceptive, preventing childbirth."

Youngjae's expression hardened, his mind racing as he processed this alarming revelation. The realisation that someone had intentionally endangered Daehan's health ignited a fierce protectiveness within him, his determination to uncover the truth burning stronger than ever.

The assistant's gasp echoed through the room, her disbelief palpable. "But how is that possible? There's no trace of pennyroyal in this cup!" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with shock.

The physician's expression darkened with grim understanding as he contemplated the implications. "It's probable that the cup was swapped when no one was vigilant, effectively erasing any evidence," he concluded, his gaze shifting to Youngjae with a sense of urgency. "Your Highness, if you permit, I can conduct a fertility assessment for the Crown Princess."

Daehan's anxiety intensified at the physician's proposal, his heart racing with apprehension at the thought of his secret being exposed.

Youngjae's response was swift and decisive. "There's no need for that," he declared firmly, his tone leaving no room for argument. "Simply administer the antidote and depart."

Daehan's tense shoulders sagged in relief at Youngjae's directive, a heavy burden lifting from his chest as the threat to his secret seemed to diminish.

With a nod, the physician swiftly provided Daehan with the antidote before taking his leave.

Meanwhile, Youngjae wasted no time in issuing commands to his guards, his expression steely with determination. "Search Princess Jiyoon's chambers and those of her attendants thoroughly," he instructed, his voice brooking no disobedience. "If you find any trace of pennyroyal, bring it to me along with its owner."

The guards bowed in acknowledgement before hastening to carry out Youngjae's orders, their footsteps echoing down the corridor as they embarked on their mission.

As Youngjae turned his attention back to Daehan, he noticed that his Consort had drifted off to sleep, likely succumbing to the effects of the antidote. A wave of tenderness washed over him as he observed Daehan's peaceful slumber, prompting him to gently pull up the blanket to ensure his comfort.

With a final lingering gaze at Daehan's serene form, Youngjae silently made his way towards Jiyoon's chambers located in the north wing of the royal palace. As he approached, he could see the chaos unfolding within, his guards meticulously scouring every corner in their search for evidence.

Jiyoon's tear-streaked face was a picture of desperation as she knelt before Youngjae, her words choked with emotion. "Your Highness... why are you doing this to me? What have I done to deserve your suspicion?"

Youngjae's expression remained impassive, his tone cold and accusing. "Have you conveniently forgotten? My third bride was last seen with you before her untimely demise. And now, pennyroyal has been found in the body of my current Consort."

Jiyoon recoiled in shock, her breath catching in her throat at the accusation. "Pennyroyal? Your Highness, how could you think such a thing of me? I swear on my honour, I would never stoop to such treachery. And as for your third bride, yes, she was in my company, but I am innocent of any wrongdoing," she protested through her tears.

Youngjae's patience wore thin at Jiyoon's continued protests. "Enough," he snapped, his irritation evident in his tone as he silenced her with a stern command.