Chapter 4

As Daehan continued to drink his tea, a wave of discomfort washed over him, accompanied by abdominal pain and nausea.

Jiyoon's smirk did not go unnoticed by Daehan, his suspicions were confirmed as she passed an empty bowl towards him with a mocking offer. "Is something wrong?! Are you feeling nauseous? You can use this bowl if you want to throw up!" she taunted, her tone dripping with malicious satisfaction.

Daehan clutched the bowl, his body convulsing as he retched, gasping for air between heaves.

Jiyoon's smile twisted into a smirk as she observed his distress. "I heard the crown prince consummated the marriage with you last night.," she remarked, her tone dripping with malice. "Consider this my gift to you....a special concoction to ensure you won't bear his child."

Daehan's eyes widened in horror as the implications of Jiyoon's actions sank in. She had deliberately laced his tea with a contraceptive agent, likely in an attempt to sabotage any possibility of him bearing Youngjae's child. While her attempt to sabotage his fertility was undoubtedly malicious, he found a small measure of relief in the knowledge that, as a man, he was immune to the effects of her contraceptive scheme.

Gathering himself, Daehan wiped his mouth with a trembling hand, his gaze locked on Jiyoon with a mixture of shock and indignation. He couldn't fathom the depths of her malice, nor the lengths she was willing to go to achieve her own selfish ends.

The door burst open, and Youngjae stormed into the room. His eyes swept over Daehan's pallid complexion before narrowing on Jiyoon, who immediately bowed in deference.

"What have you given to my Consort?!" Youngjae's voice sliced through the tense silence, each word laced with icy authority.

Jiyoon's voice wavered as she responded, her demeanour shifting to one of feigned innocence. "J-Just ginger tea, your Highness... The Empress suggested a tea ceremony in honour of the Crown Princess, and ginger tea was chosen for its reputed health benefits. It seems, however, that either the Crown Princess consumed it on an empty stomach or the potency of the ginger was too much for her system... resulting in her discomfort."

Youngjae's grip tightened around Daehan's hand, dragging him closer with a forceful tug. "I will investigate your claims later," he stated with chilling certainty, "And if I discover any deception... you will face the consequences." His threat hung in the air, unspoken but palpable.

He gestured sharply to his attendants, commanding them to seize the cup of tea for testing. With a firm grasp on Daehan, he whisked him out of the room. Once they were alone in the corridor, Youngjae's glare bore into Daehan's trembling form. "With whose permission did you leave my palace?!" His words were sharp, cutting through the air like a blade.

Daehan's throat felt dry as he swallowed hard, his eyes dropping to the ground. He shook his head slowly, a silent admission that he had acted without permission.

Youngjae's anger flared, his hand reaching out to grasp Daehan's face roughly, forcing him to meet his gaze. "You're not allowed to leave the palace without my permission. Is that clear?!" The words were a command, laced with a warning that left no room for disobedience.

Daehan's breaths came in shallow gasps, his body tense with apprehension as he nodded in fearful compliance.

Youngjae's grip loosened, his attention shifting to Daehan's attendants who cowered before him. His voice rang out with authority, each word laced with a palpable anger. "And you all... how dare you leave my Consort alone?! Have I not commanded you to stay by my consort's side at all times?!"

The attendants quivered, their heads bowing low in shame. "Please forgive us, your Imperial Highness," they murmured in unison, their voices trembling with fear.