Prologue: The Choice (Short)

Third Person POV

Death.

Death was something that Ramattra was all too familiar with. Ever since the moment of his creation, he was thrown into battle, into war against Humanity. He was made to lead Omnics into battle, built as a commander with all the knowledge of war and tactics that could rival any human mind.

However, this wasn't what Ramattra wanted. Death wasn't his desire. All he had ever wanted, all that he had ever desired, was a better life for his people. The mere existence of his people was a miracle in itself.

After the war ended, he set down his weapon and sought self-improvement. Ramattra delved into the ways of peace and harmony, meditating with his fellow Omnics under the guidance of Master Mondatta. Despite his efforts to coexist with humans, violence persisted. The deaths continued to rise, with more and more Omnics perishing at the hands of humans.

Humans feared the Omnics and their power, leading to senseless violence. Ramattra was haunted by the lifeless bodies of his people and questioned how many more would have to die before peace could prevail.

Master Mondatta preached understanding and coexistence, but his own assassination shattered Ramattra's hope. Faced with humanity's betrayal, Ramattra resolved to lead the Omnics into war to protect his people.

He waged war against humans, sparing Omnics and seeking a safe haven for them away from human harm. In the midst of this conflict, he encountered his brother Zenyatta, who had joined Overwatch, a group fighting against the Omnics. Ramattra felt betrayed by his brother's choice.

Despite the pain, Ramattra was determined to create a better world for his people. In a tragic turn, he was struck down by Zenyatta, his own brother. As Ramattra lay dying, he sensed Zenyatta's remorse. In his final moments, he heard his brother's words, "I'll miss you, brother..." and then, there was nothing.

....

....

...

Ramattra found himself adrift in a dark void, filled with confusion as he surveyed his surroundings. All he could perceive was an eternal blackness stretching endlessly in every direction.

Ramattra: "W-what is this? Am I truly dead?"

He glanced down at himself, astonished by what he saw. His body, once marred by battle damage, had been completely restored to its former state.

Puzzled and disoriented, he grappled with his current location. Could this be the Iris? No, it couldn't be. He believed he was unwelcome in the Iris due to abandoning his master's teachings and reverting to his former ways. Moreover, Mondatta had proclaimed that all would reunite within the Iris, yet this place he now inhabited bore no resemblance to it.

This enveloping darkness felt like a punishment, a fate harsher than death. Deep inside, his greatest desire had always been to enhance the lives of his people and to reunite with his Master once more. Uncertainty gnawed at him about the fate of his fellow Omnics in the realm of the living-whether they would all perish or endure, he would never know.

Realizing he would never witness the outcomes for his people, a generation of Omnics possibly suffering for his transgressions, weighed heavily on him. The sense of loss and regret was a torment unlike any other.

Ramattra: "So many battles... Thousands of deaths at my hands, or by my orders. All of that effort... leading to this..."

A wry chuckle escaped him.

Ramattra: "I suppose it is what I deserve. I believe the humans called this 'karma'..."

Suddenly, a voice pierced the void, calling his name. Startled, Ramattra searched for the source of the mysterious voice.