Chapter :- 03

Yn pov :-

It wasn't a restful night. The gentle end of summer breeze kept The Gingkgo Tree branches scraping at the window like bony fingers.

I tossed and turned all  night, pulling the blankets over my head and covering my ears with my hands, but it was still well after midnight before I fell asleep.

When I awoke on the first day of school, a thick mist clung to the trees out my window. I couldn't see through the branches to know if it was raining or if it was still the dew from the night before. I'd have to ask Dad about getting someone to trim some of the branches so I could at least see the ground.

Dad was waiting in ancien kitchen with Pancakes, Toast, and Some Fruits.

Eww...

When my Mom was alive, she made breakfast of Dalgona Coffee, Kimchi-Jjigae, Kimchi Eggs, Korean Mushroom Pancakes, and Various side dishes such as vegetables Tofu for the first day of my school. She always called it my "good luck" breakfast. I tried not to miss it.

"Ready for your big day?" Dad asked.

"Yes," I replied with a forced smile. I took a set at the oversized kitchen table.
"Can't wait."
Dad sat down across from me and sighed,
"Just try to give it a chance. I'm
sure it won't be as bad as you think."

In an instant the rush of guilt flowed over me. He was trying so hard and I was acting like a spoiled brat.

My Mom would be so disappointed in me.

"I'm sure it will be great." I countered, really trying to sound cheerful.

The effect sounded almost comical to my critical ears.

He smiled as if he believed my ruse,

"That's my girl."
I choked down my breakfast while he leaned against an ancient white stove watching me.

Shoving the last spoonful of Morning Breakfast into my mouth, I smiled as I stretched past him to put my bowl in the sink.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"
"It's nothing," He replied in a tight voice.
"I was just thinking of how much
you look like your mother now."

I didn't mean to, but I flinched. I sensed her absence acutely and resented being reminded of it.

A suffocating silence fell between us until I stretched my face into a smile like I knew she would have wanted me to and gathered my things.

"Wish me luck," I said as I walked toward the door, not waiting to see if he actually would.

The bright stillness of the morning met me when I stepped out on the porch.

I walked down the drive to the sidewalk and looked around. The entire town seemed to still be sleeping; even the scant traffic was quiet as it passed.

It didn't even seem real. Towns like this belonged in movies.

I didn't hurry. I just sort of walked along, looking at the old houses and trying to guess what the owners of them looked like or what they did for a
living.

By the time I reached the corner I began to see a few kids near my age Leaving their homes with books in hand. Even if Dad hadn't gone over it a dozen times and put the map on my phone too, I didn't have to worry about finding the school anymore.

I was following them, no point in calling attention to myself. I already hated being the new kid and not knowing where I was supposed to be or what I was supposed to be doing.