54

"His look was cute"

"His look was cute"

Brooke stood in the middle of the cafeteria, peacefully trying to get lunch when suddenly. 

"Brooke! Brooke!" Shawn ran up to her, yelling, earning a few looks from other students. Once she gave an apologetic look to the others, she turned to Shawn.
"Where's the earthquake, Shawn?" She asked sarcastically. 

"Brookie. When was the last time I saw my mother?" He asked, panting from all the running.
"You mean since she went on vacation" The brunette sympathetically asked. 
"Honey, she ran away. For a year. That doesn't work on Morgan, won't work on me" He pursed his lip, patting her back.
"Oh shut up, she too did believe her hamster went to the farm upstate" Brooke argued back. 
"it was only to make you feel better" He replied. 

"Now. How long do you think has it been since I saw my mother?" He asked again. 
"How long do you think it's been?" 

"A minute" Brooke's eyes shot up to him, as she set her half full tray aside, to look him right in the eye, her attention switching completely. 
"It's been a minute. I was at home. I wasn't gonna come to school, right? But I saw mom and I just had to tell you this" He replied, moving his hands around frantically. 

"Wait, wait, so you're telling me, that after your dad went on a man-hunt in 43 out of 50 states, got arrested like 5 times, left you back in Philly, Virna just...comes back? Shawn, are you sure it was your mom? Where did you even see her?" She asked. He inhaled sharply, walking towards the slider in Brooke's lunch tray. As he picked it up and took a bite. 

"Mhm, this stuff is good" He moaned in delight, taking another bite. "I love that smoky flavor they g-"

"Shawn!" Brooke scolded, startling him. 
"Oh, I suppose it is a bit dry" He replied, assuming his compliment was the reason he got yelled at. 

"No, Shawn, the thing about your mom!" Brooke said, slapping her forehead. 
"Right! I saw her at the Trailer View Motel. She was looking through her window at our trailer." A small smile captured his lips, as he gulped. "Baby, my mom's back."

--

After school, Cory, Brooke, Chet and Shawn sat at the dining table in the trailer. 

"Dad, I swear, believe me. It was mom!" Shawn argued. 
"Shawny, son, I know damn well we Hunter men have the eyesight of eagles. But there's no way that I chase my dear sweet Virna across the United States for a year and you find her across the road?" He said, sipping a beer. 
"No, Mr. Hunter, Shawn is sure that he saw her. Maybe the both of you should go there and talk to her." Brooke said, standing at a distance as she tried convincing the duo. "Shawn, you saw her in the morning. I don't know why you're still here. You should've gone running there, instead of to me and talked to your mom" He sipped his soda and looked away, sighing.