Part 2

Next day

Zoya just reached college, and she climbed down the crowded bus. Her ponytail was too shabby, her face and neck were sweaty, and she was exhausted.

"I thought I wouldn't be reaching college." Zoya smiled at Riya.

Riya commented, "But just imagine how it would have been if we hadn't got the seat!"
"Then I would have ended on the road." Both of them laughed.

They kept walking inside the college, Zoya's hand resting on Riya's shoulder.

"What are your plans after M com?" Zoya asked.

"Plans..." She sighed, "Most probably will write some Govt exam. What about you after your degree?"
"I am not much interested in doing PG, even, I may end up in some Govt job."

"Then it is better then, you start preparing now itself. You needn't waste a single year for it."
"It is hard to manage them both. It would be better to focus on the university exam for now and then go for the government exams."
Riya nodded.

They reached the English department block. Zoya continued, "Would you be there tomorrow?"
"Maybe, depending on the work I get today."
"If you are coming, then would you be traditional? It's Ethnic Day tomorrow."

"Yes, I read it, I will message you if I am not coming."
"Okay." She patted her back, "See you then."
"Bye." Riya went straight to her classroom which was in a separate block.

Zoya began to climb the stairs. It was a 3-storey building, ground floor for history, and the first and second floors for English. Her classroom was on the first floor. As she was climbing the stairs, someone finger-kicked her neck.

Zoya turned around, "Hey, you are so early today."

"I was behind you all this while." Ethen smiled.

"I love her, she is funny."
"I felt that." Ethen continued, climbing the last set of stairs, "Your creepy laughs were loud enough for everyone around you to hear."

Zoya stared at him, trying to look serious.

"What?" Ethen laughed, "Go keep your bag and come."

Zoya followed, and she jumped inside her classroom. She dropped her bag in one of the chairs and hurried out into the corridor.

She stood, looking outside, at the children and teachers walking.

"Isn't there anyone in your class?"
"Found few bags, they would have gone to the washroom." She sat on the parapet.

"Be careful!" Ethen kept one step close to her.

Zoya asked, resting her back on the wall, "What are your plans for tomorrow? It's Ethnic Day."

"We haven't made any plans. We will discuss it today." He paused, "What about you? Saree!"
"No! Never a saree." Her voice became louder, "I don't think I will be coming different tomorrow. My mother won't let me wear good clothes."
Ethen was surprised, "Why?"
"Periods, so yeah, you know stupid old rules." Zoya climbed down from the parapet.

"So what would you be wearing?"
"Just the casual clothes."
"Okay." Ethen was silent.

Zoya was also silent.

"Then," Ethen said.

"Nothing much. Today all the classes would be there. So I don't think I would be able to come to your class."
"We have a lunch break."
"Yeah, will see then."

Again both of them stood in silence, Zoya staring outside and Ethen wiping his sweaty hands.

"Hey, when did you come," Sara asked coming close to Zoya.
Zoya turned around, "Hey, Just a few minutes before."
"I thought you would be late."