Chapter 2

Over the next few weeks, as Mandisa learned more about the new world she was in, the Mikaelsons searched for ways to subdue her. Elijah reached out to his old Strix contacts. He hadn't been active in the secret society for years, but he'd need them now more than ever. Kol visited New Orleans. He discovered Klaus's adopted son was alive and also that the witches of New Orleans already knew about the emergence of power. What the Mikaelsons didn't realize was that all three contacts would only use their new knowledge for their own gain and possibly the loss of the Mikaelsons.

Esther didn't let Mandisa affect her plans. In fact she needed her. So she decided to throw a ball and invite her as well as the other Bennett witch in town. Her children believed the invitation to be an olive's branch. How wrong they were.

Bonnie and Mandisa enjoyed looking for their dresses for the ball. The girls bonded even though Bonnie's father was not happy about his credit card bills. She guilted him and he gave up rather quickly. Unbeknownst to them, people had plans to sneak into the ball and all wanted their chance to turn Mandisa to their side.

Mandisa wore a lightweight long sleeve dress with a slightly low neckline and illusion bottom. She was quite uncomfortable. Not used to the grandeur that seemed common in the world. She tested the bubbles for spells, not trusting Esther. When she found none, she took a sip. She found it wasn't half bad. "So you're the Immortal Bennett witch," a feminine voice came from behind her. She turned to see a dark skinned woman with perfect bone structure and a shaved head. She was quite an old vampire.

"I am told that is our name now so I suppose that is who I am. Who knew the word would spread so quickly. I know you all have those phone things. They must be quite helpful."

"I've been told you slept for a thousand years. To wake up in a new world must have been overwhelming. No wealth, no idea of how to get it," she said, in a fake pitying voice.

"No but I have witchcraft and can kill anyone who gets in my way," she said, disliking the woman slightly.

"Wow, you really are a Mikaelson," a young man said. He was also a vampire. Not that old though. Marcel stared at her for a moment and she didn't know why.

"I am not a son. I am his daughter. Who are you?"

"That is Marcel Gerard. He is the adopted son of Klaus."

"Oh. You come to protect your father? You are too young to put up a good fight. She might have a chance," Mandisa told him plainly. He lifted his hands in a sign of surrender.

"Nothing could be further from the truth. We want to help you get what you want."

"I do not need help. I will kill those who have wronged me on my own."

"Then what?" Marcel asked her.

"What do you mean?"

"Mister Gerard is trying to tell you that you'll still need to know how this world works. You'll need support, money."

"Actually I meant community. It is rare in this world. My home, New Orleans, is the closest you'll get to your own home. There are nine covens of witches residing there as well as werewolves in the bayou. You won't have to be alone. Just give it some thought." Mandisa looked thoughtfully at him then nodded and walked away.

"Family?" the woman asked with a laugh, "That's your play?"

"You look at her and only see the immortal witch. I see more than that. I see a seventeen year old witch who unlike the Mikaelsons, never got to live or mature. We'll see who's right," he said with a smirk.