Chapter 3: New Lead

UN: EU, something came up at work..

     EU: What- What happened? Did NATO fall down the stairway again?

     UN: something even better!

     EU stepped aside so UN could come in. UN froze for a second to admire their home before turning back to them. He quickly opened the file in his hands and searched through the papers. EU watched a bit confused why UN was so energetic at this moment. They just assumed UN had one too many cups of coffee. UN spoke up after seeing EU's concern.

     UN: We have a potential hint on the missing cases!

     EU instantly was filled with adrenaline when they heard those words. They quickly got bedside UN to look at the file. That's it. That's all they had to go off of. It was so little but to EU it was ground breaking.

     They ran to grab a coat from his room. UN follow them with concern.

     UN: What are you doing? You're not going out there are you?

     EU: Of course I'm going out there! I'm not letting our only lead drain away in the rain!

     EU tossed the coat to UN so he wouldn't get too wet in the rain. UN wanted to argue but he silently closed the file and pulled his hood over his head indicating he will follow them. EU quickly left through the front door and locked it behind UN. The rain had been pouring down even more since UN got here. Without waiting EU rushed to his car while the rain moved around him so he wouldn't get wet. UN followed and got in the car on the passenger side 

     UN: Are you sure this is a good idea..?

     EU: It has to be.

     UN sighed and leaned against the window to watch the rain fly across the window. EU drove silently, trying to stay calm. Maybe he'd finally catch the culprit.. he could finally return countries home and have life go back to normal. He could go back to relaxing and catching up on sleep each night. People would talk to him again. No more late night stress or people blaming him for anything. Everything normal and everyone happy.

     UN: Do you think they'll be there?

     EU: I hope they are...

     UN: ...

     After driving for a while, they pulled into a parking lot and got out the car.

     EU: Isn't this where Italy was last seen?

     UN: Is it?

     UN looked up at the store which had been closed since a few hours ago. It was a small local business and just looking at it didn't exactly scream 'someone got kidnapped here'. UN noticed EU speed walking to the door so he ran to catch up.

     UN: Maybe we should think how we're going to go about this.. I mean why would they come back here again? Even if they did come back here for some random reason then what do we do?

     EU: Well, if they're here then we find a way to keep them here until NATO arrives. Even if they get past me you're many magical abilities should stop them.

     UN grew nervous of this plan.

     UN: Yeah uhm.. about my magic.. I-

     Suddenly a loud clatter and crash of cans and metal came from around back of the store. UN stopped talking and froze in fear. EU, on the other hand, ran to catch who it could be that caused the ruckus. UN hesitantly followed Incase he had to protect EU. The noises continued as they walked out back. It was quite overgrown and hard to traverse behind the store but once they got there they saw the noise maker. Two racoons were fighting and knocking over trash cans and trash. EU sighed disappointed as UN sighed with relief.

     UN: Maybe we should go home and come back in the morning?

     EU watched the racoons fighting in the rain.

     EU: there has to be something...

     The rain kept falling and bouncing off the roof of the shop behind them. UN stared at EU feeling guilty. UN spoke up again after a few minutes of waiting.

     UN: I was trying to say that.. I don't have my magic anymore.

     EU: What?

     They looked back at UN with a surprised expression.

     UN: It's hard to explain but I put it all in some sort of talisman...

     EU stared in shock. Talisman? Why would UN get rid of his magic?

    EU: Why.. your magic was wonderful why would you shove it in some talisman? How?

     UN: I'll show you when we get home...

     EU sighed and nodded. He glanced around one final time and after seeing nothing he started walking back to the car. UN followed close behind.