Prologue

I forgot just how long TSA security takes...

"You have your passport out, right?"

I pulled it out of my jacket pocket and showed my lovely picture in all its glory, "Yep. Don't worry, I haven't lost it yet, Nika."

The ivory haired girl gave me a knowing smirk. "If you lose it, it's coming out of your bank account this time." She rolled her eyes and laughed, pulling her passport out as well.

I grinned, "We both know that's not true." The TSA lady took the small blue object out of my hand and gave me a scrutinizing glare,

"Look into the camera."

I waited until Nika had gone through her identity check and we moved on to baggage check.

My companion sighed as she walked through the metal detector, "You know what's crazy, Caroline?"

"You, or the fact that we're going to travel over 7,446 miles to go to a new school that's going to teach us to fight comic book monsters?"

"Hahahaha that's soooo funny! No but seriously, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and they chose us to–"

"--Nobody chose anyone. We won a random raffle that U.A. sent out to all the American hero schools.." I crossed my arms as we made our way to sit in the Gate lobby.

"But that's still major luck on our part..." She grinned to herself. "It must be a sign heheh."

I couldn't help but smile back, glancing over to a nearby airport restaurant, "I'm hungry."

"Want me to go get us some food?" She said flatly.

I shrugged and took a seat in the lobby, "I mean, if you insist."

She reached her hand out. "Come on, pay up."

"...I'm broke—"

"--I know, it was a joke." She giggled.

I sent her a glare as she walked away, pulling out my headphones and turning on some music.

I'm excited. I thought to myself with a smile. Maybe I'll have fun, too.

I had been very nervous after we'd gotten the results back from that raffle that the foreign school had offered us here in America. I hadn't really wanted to leave my family, but it was fortunate that my friend had been chosen along with me. It allowed for a sigh of relief.

"I'm back!" A brown paper bag was thrown on my lap. "Whatcha listening to?"

"Under the Weather. What'd you get me?" I tore open the bag.

"Two burgers, extra ketchup and cheese, no pickles." She grinned, taking the seat next to me.

I took in a dramatic breath, "You are an angel."

I had nearly demolished the last bit of American fuel I would have for the next few months- Nika insisted I try foreign food -when my friend shook my arm.

"Oh em gee guess what I did last night~" Nika said all sing-songy.

Knowing her, she made a playlist for the flight and stayed up for unholy hours doing it.

"I dunno." She always liked when she could surprise me, so I tried to play along sometimes.

"I made us the most amazing, beautiful, awe-inspiring, ethereal playlist ever for our flight!"

She handed me her phone and I scrolled through the songs she put in and whistled, "These are some good ones. You make sure to download them so we can actually listen to it?"

"Done and done." She smiled proudly, taking her phone back. "Ugh, it's freezing in here." She shivered going through her bag probably looking for something warmer than the shirt she was wearing.

I was about to respond with something like 'You're always cold', when an announcement came from the speakers.

"Gate C5, please begin boarding."

"That was super quick!" Nika grabbed all of our stuff, attempting to take it all herself when I quickly grabbed a few bags from her.

I adjusted them and gave her a look, "You know, you could just use your Qu–"

"--No, there's no point. I won't get buff if I don't lift." She said sarcastically.

I grimaced and we got onto the plane, sitting in our seats. I let Nika have the window and was squished in the middle next to her and some old guy.

She handed me one of her earbuds and I put it in my ear, waiting as the music began and our plane took to the skies.

"Attention. Your flight to Musutafu will take 20 hours, with an estimated arrival time of 12:45 pm."

Closing my eyes, I hummed along to the music, hoping to sleep most of the time.

It'll be fine. I told myself. This time... it'll be different.