Chapter 2

"Hey, did you move my toothpaste?" I called out to Nika, who was on the couch reading as I searched for the tube.

"No, it's right where you left it!" She called out.

"No it's-" I cut myself off, mumbling, "Nevermind..." I heard her chuckle from the living room.

I picked up the tube and began to brush my teeth once I got some toothpaste out. I walked into the living room and walked past Nika, going to look out our apartment window.

"What're you thinking about?" My closest friend asked, not looking up from her book.

I let my toothbrush hang in my mouth, "What did you think about today?"

She let out a small puff of air, "You can't answer a question with another question, but..." she trailed off, looking up at me. "It was nice."

I hummed, my hands in my shorts pockets. "Care to share?"

"Well, we started our new school, went through all of our classes for the first time, and we made some friends." She smiled.

I sighed, "You made friends. Everyone there just thought I was a man." I gave her a pointed look.

"Hey." She began, much more sternly than usual. "It was just the first day. A little bit of confusion. Trust me, I just..." she stared off. "I have a feeling. This will be good. It just takes time... for anything."

"Not that I agree with you, I am glad, though." I smiled. "It's good that you made some friends. Tell me about them." I walked to the bathroom to spit out my toothpaste.

She began as I made my way to the couch, sitting next to her, letting her drop her head onto my lap.

"Well, the girls from the cafeteria were really sweet. They helped me around a lot and I think we got along pretty well."

Oh, those girls. They came up to me after school and apologized for... something?

"That bright blonde electric dude, he was crazy though. Super energetic, remember when he practically killed you?!"

I let out a deep sigh, "To think I nearly died on our first day." I began carding my fingers through her hair. "You would've cried like a baby if I got hit, huh?" I grinned.

She laughed, shaking her head slightly. "I wouldn't have..." she whined, unconvincing.

"Whatever you say..." I paused. "Anything else?"

"Oh oh oh, what about that tiny, creepy, purple kid! He was sooo weirdddd! Almost made me vomit multiple times, not even gonna lie." 

I grimaced, "Gross," I ran a hand over my face. "He was fine until near the end of the day, then yelled at me for wearing pants." I sighed again. "You'd better be right about him being a... special case."

Nika sighed, looking over to the side. "Yeah..." she seemed to be thinking about other things.

I raised an eyebrow, "What's that face for?" I poked her cheek. "Who else was there?"

"Mmmmmm~" she giggled nervously, turning face down into my lap sheepishly, curling into a ball.

"HUH?! IT'S THAT BAD ALREADY?!" I nearly jumped off of the couch in surprise. "You can't leave me hanging, what happened?!"

"Nooooooooo!!" Her voice was muffled in my clothes.

"I told you about my day, so you have to tell me about yours!"

"No you didn't!"

Oh, right.

"But still," I protested. "Who?"