Prologue

Because she did an audio version of my prologue! :D 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                          =Prologue=

          I didn't want to be cursed. But that's just how it happened.

          I wish that my mother was around to love me the way a mother should love her firstborn. But that's just not how it happened.

          I craved normalcy and desired to live the life of a normal girl. But Fate dealt me different cards.

***

          Lady Alice and her husband, Lord Kurtis were getting ready to have their first born child. Their reactions to this soon-to-be new addition to their little family were very different however. Lady Alice envisioned her child to become a well-bred, polite, and apathetic, a mirror image of her ladyship. He or she would be the epitome of pure nobility. Lord Kurtis on the other hand, harbored images of himself pushing his child on a swing, teaching him or her to read, and raising the child to become whomever their child was destined to become. He imagined the child to have artistic talents, and he dwelled on the idea of himself encouraging him or her to grow and be confident in him or herself.

          Both were anticipating the moment that their new baby would be brought out into the world.

          Lady Alice couldn't wait to sink her teeth into the newborn's life and become the dominating figure that the child could look up to.

          Lord Kurtis was ecstatic for the moment when he could hold his baby and see it's first smile. 

          About the time Lady Alice was getting ready to give birth, they happened to be staying at the castle of King James, queen Leticia, and their fourteen year-old son, prince Philip. Lord Kurtis and King James were  very close friends, and previously the King had invited the Lord and his Lady to come have dinner with them, to celebrate the new life they were about to bring forth. 

          However, during dessert and amidst the laughing and the talking between the adults, the contractions started.

          Immediately she was rushed into a room where Lady Alice moaned and screamed, trying to push the baby out. Lord Kurtis paced worriedly outside, and the King and his wife tried their best to comfort him. The King had specially made this room for his wife for her pregnancy. It was sound proof, or close to it. A father couldn't bear to not wait outside since going inside was out of the question. When little could be heard, the father would hopefully feel less stressed. The birthing was taking a long time, and Lady Alice felt herself growing weaker and weaker.

          A third midwife entered the room. Her hair was long and mangled, and her face looked pale, her cheeks were gaunt. The eyes on that woman's face were a dull gray, and her shoulders stooped. She rushed forward eagerly to perform her duties and attend to her ladyship.

          Lady Alice took one look at the less than perfect woman and gave an ear piercing shriek. Some strength had returned to her the moment she saw the third midwife.

          "Get that beast out of here!" She cried hoarsely. "I won't allow my child to see that horse of a woman! My baby's eyes will not be tainted with this imperfection!"

          Everyone in the room appeared horrified at the noblewoman's words. She obviously didn't realize who the newcomer was. They glanced fearfully at the third midwife who halted instantly at the harsh words. For a moment, everyone was silent. Lady Alice glared at the woman fiercely, believing herself to be higher up than the midwife. Then the third midwife straightened her spine slowly, and stood tall, staring defiantly back into Lady Alice's angry green eyes.