Chp. 26

=26=

=Kaelyn=

          It was difficult waking from one of the deepest sleeps I had ever gotten in my lifetime. I rolled around contentedly, relishing in the feeling of safety. Still somewhat groggy, I stood up and shook my head forcefully. A large yawn escaped me as I slowly wandered to the food bucket.

          The taste of the familiar oats didn't completely register as my mind still lingered in the pleasant dreams that I had during the night. In my dreams, I was no longer a horse. The curse had been lifted... Mmm... It was so wonderful. I remember one part where I danced with the one who broke the curse. His warm hands gently held mine, and he twirled me around as an orchestra played softly from far away. He looked extraordinarily handsome in his black shirt which was decorated with silver designs around the hem. I had on a white dress, also covered with silver patterns of flowers and leaves, but as too the details I can't recall. I didn't really pay attention to myself.

          His face however, faded from memory. I struggled hard to bring it back into my mind's eye. But the harder I tried, the more it disappeared. I sighed, and sensing a presence, I brought my head up from out of the food bucket. Naturally I assumed it was Matilda, coming to wish me a good morning. 

          I just about choked on my breakfast.

          The prince was leaning casually against the stall's door and fiddling with his fingers. I almost didn't recognize him with the new haircut and clean shaven face, of course, it's not like he had a beard or anything, but he definitely had some good scruff... At the first glance I only knew that it was him because no one else had his beautiful brown eyes.

          Don't think like that! Keep a straight face and cut off any emotions. He's not yours. 

          "Um, hey." He kept his hands busy by clenching and unclenching them continuously. That along with a forced smile told me everything I needed to know. Frozen, and unsure of what to do, I concentrated all of my thoughts towards Gabriella. I needed backup.

          Help!

          The prince ran a hand through his short hair, and bit at his lip. "Look, Kaelyn. I'm sorry about last night, you weren't supposed to see-" 

          "What?" Gabriella's skeptical tone shattered through his apologetic guise. "The truth?" She strode quickly towards us. And suddenly, Henry rounded the corner, looking around blindly for a moment before spotting us. He had to jog to catch up with Gabriella's fast pace.

          "Hey, what's going on?" Henry asked slightly breathlessly. "And you," he continued, pointing a finger at Gabriella. "You just randomly decide to vanish in the middle of a conversation?" A sly smile crept up on the witch's face as she pushed his accusing finger off to the side. "And why are we in the stables?" Henry finished, still looking as confused as ever.

          I still couldn't believe she arrived so fast.

          She turned to me.

          "You sounded pretty urgent, and I guessed that he," her eyes narrowed as she glared at the prince, "decided to show up. Perhaps plead for forgiveness and all that."

          "Who are you talking to?" Henry cut in.

          And while Henry continued to wear the baffled expression, the prince gaped at Gabriella.