Chp. 9

she made the cover on the side :)

basically... a lot of time passes by. i randomly decided to try this little technique out. plus, since i'm trying to put an emphasis on how boring their trip it without actually making the story boring itself... i thought this would be a good way to do it. haha. idk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                      =9=

=Kaelyn=

          We traveled through the plains for days. It was endless and I could feel my mind starting to fall off the edge of sanity. The sun beat down hard, cooking everything it's nasty little rays touched. I used to love the sunshine, but now I begged for clouds to prevent me from roasting alive. 

***

=Philip=

          I decided that being a hostage is no fun. But being Drake of the Mist's hostage, was beyond terrible. Because of him, I felt a constant thirst and a plaguing hunger. You shouldn't starve a prince! It just simply isn't done! My stomach grumbled in agreement. Or maybe I'm just a pampered prince who's complaining at the slight bit of discomfort...

***

=Kaelyn=

          Where were we headed anyways? Once in my unbelievably short lessons, Matilda had shown me a map of our lands. I remember a large body of water... I couldn't quite bring it up to my memory though. An ocean perhaps? An uneasy feeling settled in my stomach. I had to get Philip and myself away before we reached the ocean, or sea, or whatever it was! If we were forced onto a ship bound for who knows where... It would all be over.

***

=Philip=

           It felt like I was reliving the same day over and over again. We would ride all day long with only a few short breaks. The sun would beat down hard on us for hours. Sweat ran down my face in waves. Every time I licked my lips I tasted saltiness. And what with my hands being bound to the saddle I couldn't wipe the perspiration that ran into my eyes. I almost wished that they would just kill me already. Nobody was going to save me. Not even Aurora.

***

=Kaelyn=

          The nights were the most torturous. For one hour every night I had the power to do something, to save the prince and escape. But that power was useless to me since a rescue in the plains would be suicide. At least for me. And without me, I didn't think the prince would have any hope. Also, my wounds were having a slight bit of trouble healing with my transformations and shifting back and forth between human and horse. But, they were getting better...

***

=Philip=

          It was hard to sleep once the night arrived. After the second day of riding for hours, I thought that sleep would come easily. But of course nothing ever goes your way if you are kidnapped and held against your will. My mind kept wandering through my memories of the past, the hopelessness of the present and the dreading of the future. I wanted, no, needed to buy more time... And that in itself was impossible.

***

=Kaelyn=

          Finally, we had reached the end of the plains. I rejoiced at the sight of a few scrawny trees trying to grow a few sparse green leaves. I almost believed I would never see that color again, what with days and days of seeing flat, ugly, brown ground. I lost myself in my excitement and my relief, letting my joy fuel me forward and in front of the herd.