~*~|| Anathema ||~*~

~*~||~***~***~***~||~*~

The silence in the tent was deafening. 

It was the quiet, that the skies assume, before the heavens above, prepare to split the world open with a thunder so destructive that it can burn the land down to cinders. 

It was as if, time itself had stopped in shock. 

And then like a roar, everyone started speaking at once. It was a cacophony of disbelief, terror and utter panic in the room as shaking voices overlapped in a frantic effort to out sound their peers. 

Till, Yudhishtira raised his hand and everyone stopped at once. 

Whether in deference to their ruler or relief at someone else taking the reigns of the arduous conversation that was sure to follow, it couldn't be said. 

"Vasudeva, I do not understand. Why will you, not be able to guide us further? What is the meaning behind such an unbelievable announcement?", his words were shaky even if he tried his very best to school his features into his characteristic calm mask. 

The dusky Yashodanandan didn't smile in reassurance as was his typical gesture before giving any answer to any question. Instead his face remained scarily impassive, frightening everyone furthermore. 

"I am regretful Kuntiputra, I cannot give you the reason. I can only inform that my involvement in this war might result in drastic consequences. And my removal is just a way of ensuring that such events do not occur."

Krishna worded a frosty reply and Draupadi who had been stilled into a statue finally broke through her stupor with a ferocious fervour. Her face was awash in heightened agitation and her hands which had balled within the folds of her maroon saree trembled unnoticed. 

"What are you even saying Govind? You are the one who has guided us our entire lives, repeatedly assuring us, that this war was inevitable and that we are the instruments of justice that will bring upon the new era of Kshatriyas. How can you back out, now?"

"I am not saying that the war should end. It will continue as it is. But I cannot be a part of it."

"You are not a part of it, Vasudev. You have not taken up arms. Isn't that what the condition was?", Bhima asked behoved. 

Krishna remained stone faced. Unmoved. His words sharp yet clear. 

"Yes it was. But I am still indirectly a participant, bhrata Bhima. I wield your younger brother's chariot. And my advises rule your strategies just as much as your Jyestha's."

"That is correct. But, that was part of the plan wasn't it, Keshav? We are following through whatever you have made us do. Why are you suddenly backing out now? In the middle of the war, that is", Satyaki joined in helplessly.