Chapter 14

Caden

"This is bullshit," I spit, already done with the conversation.

We've been sitting in my office for less than five minutes, and I already can't stand to look at the human I now know as Dall stare at me with his smug smile and arrogant, lilting voice.

Dall tsks, and I consider throwing him through the wall.

"I would hate for something to happen to your precious Alairia," he says, eyes sparkling with the glee of a toddler with a lollipop.

I slam my hand down on the table, watching as everyone flinches.

"I'm starting to think this is all a ruse," I growl, staring him down. "If you won't tell me where she is, then how do I know you even have her?"

He tilts his head, an eyebrow quirking as he says, "I can describe her if you like." At my silence, he goes on. "Her short blond curls that bounce as she walks. Her short little figure shaking as she sat in my house. Her deep purple eyes that are filled with so much fear."

I stand up with a snarl so loud I'm surprised the windows stay intact.

My skin itches with the need to grip his throat and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze until all of his oxygen flees into the stifling air.

"If you've touched a single hair on her head," I start, my voice more growl than anything. "I will tear you apart piece by piece."

He smiles smugly. "All her hair will stay intact if you just give me what I want. The terms are quite simple."

Nixx leans forward in his chair, a silent reassurance that's he's there and ready to do whatever needs to be done.

I wish I knew. I'm a problem solver, a riddle master, and mystery cracker. I'm composed in high stress situations and can find my way around countless obstacles. This conversation, though, is what's got me in a rut. Alairia being thrown into the equation has messed everything up. I can't breathe properly knowing she's out there somewhere, scared and hurting. My brain can't comprehend simple thoughts when I know that she's not safe.

"Tell me where she is and I'll consider it," I grit out.

I definitely won't be considering anything, and when his chuckle sounds, I know he knows it.

Dall stands slowly, holding my eyes as he does so, intent gleaming in his irises.

"I gave you my terms, and I will have no other negotiations," he smirks, and my molars grind together. "Alairia doesn't have much time. All it will take is one word from me to make her world turn to misery." He crosses his arms, stance confident and knowing. "So what will it be? Tick tock, Caden."

My skin is so hot right now I'm pretty certain I'm dripping in places. This decision shouldn't even be a thing. I'm an Alpha and he's a human, yet he figured out the one way that I would fold to his commands. He took the jewel out of my world, threatening to shatter it if I don't give him what he wants.

"Does this entertain you?" I ask him, incredulous. "Why are you even on this side? Humans stay clear of these woods for a reason. How did you get here?"

His eyebrows raise. "That's a lot of questions for someone who has very little time." He straightens his shoulders and clears his throat before saying, "I have a human pack that's in need of new living arrangements."

I choke on air right as Nixx stands up so fast his chair shoots backwards.

"You have an entire human pack here?" Nixx asks with a dangerous edge.

Dall nods proudly despite him having no reason to be. What he just declared could get him killed.

Nixx scoffs lightly, shaking his head. "You are so clueless. The Elders will feel you here. One human is an easily fixable situation. However, an entire pack? They will slaughter you. The Forbidden Forest is there for a reason, and the wolves who created it don't like to be made fools."