Chapter 9

Summary: Someone is taken to the Chamber of Secrets.

Summer slowly arrives. Hermione and the other petrified students are still in the Hospital Wing being looked after by Madam Pomfrey. Dumbledore has been withdrawn, something I'm sure was influenced by my dear father, as he is part of Hogwarts Board of Governors. I never thought my first year here would be like this.

The most (and perhaps only) fun I've had since Hermione was petrified was when Emma and I tried to get into the Hufflepuff common room one weekend. We wanted to spend some time with Stella, and we had the (not so) bright idea of trying to get through the entrance, trying to imitate the rhythm we'd seen Stella beaten to the barrel the other time we'd been in the Hufflepuff common room. We both ended up splashing vinegar in our faces, soaking wet. I swear it took days for the smell to be gone.

The day passes normally, at least apart from a few details: I haven't seen Ginny since lunch, Harry and Ron have just rushed from dinner to the Hospital Wing to visit Hermione, and Emma, who I realised wasn't at the Slytherin table during dinner, runs up to me as I'm leaving the Great Hall about to go back to the Gryffindor common room.

She stops in front of me to catch her breath before speaking.

"I need to..." she starts to say. "I need to know where Harry is, where my brother is."

My friends and I look at each other worriedly, but also confused.

"Uh..." I start to say. "I think Ron and he went to visit Hermione in the Hospital Wing."

"Thank you so much!"

"Wait a minute, what's..." I try to ask, but Emma runs off before she hears me.

I exchange glances with the other Gryffindor girls.

"That's weird." says Amber.

We're walking towards the Gryffindor common room when I ask,

"Don't you think we should tell Professor McGonagall that we haven't seen Ginny since lunch? I'm worried."

"I'm worried too." says Lydia. "Maybe we can..."

"All students to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room. Immediately, please."

McGonagall's magically amplified voice interrupted what Lydia was about to say. The four of us look at each other worriedly. We walk to the Gryffindor common room, which is in chaos because of the teacher's warning.

"Does anyone know what happened?" I ask those in the room.

"I wonder if anyone else been petrified?" Neville says.

"Or worse..." says one of the Weasley twins.

My body freezes at the thought of that possibility. I realise that, apart from Ginny, Harry and Ron aren't here.

A few minutes after all the students are in the room, Professor McGonagall walks in and everyone turns to her, waiting for her to speak. She gulps before speaking.

"I must inform you that a student has been taken to the Chamber. I ask you all to pack your things. The Hogwarts Express will be ready to take you back tomorrow morning. I'm afraid to say that this is the end of Hogwarts."

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure who it is.

"Who was taken, Professor?" Angelina Johnson asks.

I watch McGonagall look cautiously at the Weasleys before answering. "Ginny Weasley."

Fred and George run towards the professor, desperate for their sister. Percy stands still, frozen in place, he seems to be in shock.

"Wait, Professor!" I say, running up to her, making my way through the people to get to McGonagall.

She, who was about to leave the common room with Fred and George, turns to me when she hears me calling her. "Yes, Miss Malfoy?"

"Professor, Harry and Ron aren't here. They went to visit Hermione in the Hospital Wing and never came back." I warn her. "I think Emma's with them too."

She sighs as if she's completely exhausted.

"Thank you for informing me, Miss Malfoy." she says, and then leaves the room with Fred and George.