Chapter I - Corliss Hailward

105 Years Later
Aranthian Year 4123

Northeast of Abbey Field lies a small home, with a garden in the back yard. In this home lives Rylos Hailward. He built this home himself, and moved in with his wife, Cilia.  In the year 4104, they had a daughter together, whom they named Corliss. Unfortunately, Cilia died during childbirth, and was not able to witness her daughter grow older.

Early in the mornings, Rylos works in the garden, something Cilia used to do. He grows vegetables and other crops. Once they are ready to be harvested, he does so, and then he travels to the nearby town of Lorentia, which lies west of Abbey Field, and south of Velin Achenrill Academy.

Corliss Hailward is now nineteen years old. She has short platinum colored hair reaching to her shoulders. She opens her green eyes, and sees her black and white cat, Riko, cuddled against her in her bed. Corliss pets Riko, who purrs.

"Good morning, Riko," Corliss says. She sits up in her bed, and looks out her window. "Strange, Dad's usually working in the garden right now." Corliss stands up, getting out of bed, careful not to disturb Riko. Corliss stretches. She heads downstairs, and sees her father, Rylos, sitting at their dining table. He has black hair reaching to the middle of his neck. Like Riko, he has green eyes.

"Dad?" Corliss says, getting his attention. He turns around.

"Corliss," He begins. "Good morning."

"Morning!" She answers back. "Why aren't you working in the garden?"

"I already did," He says. "I'm ready to head out. And... it looks like you aren't." Rylos looks at his daughter, still in her pajamas.

"Head out?" Corliss asks. "Um, head out where?" Rylos looks at Corliss, expecting her to reveal she is joking.  The reveal never comes.  Corliss can be forgetful sometimes.  Rylos learned this the hard way.

"To Lorentia," Rylos answers.  "To enroll you in the academy?" Realization spreads across Corliss's face.

"That's today?" She asks.  "I... I need to get ready!" She begins to run upstairs.  Rylos sighs.

"What would she do without me?" He asks himself, shaking his head.  "Ah, I might as well load the crops onto the cart as well." He heads outside.  Upstairs, Corliss changes out of her pajamas and into some casual clothes.

"What do you think, Riko?" Corliss asks, not really expecting an answer.  Riko wakes up from her nap and stretches, jumping from the bed.  She walks over to Riko, and nuzzles her leg.  Corliss picks up her pet, and they head downstairs.  "Hm.  Dad must have gone outside."

Outside, Rylos loads their cart with crates filled with vegetables from the garden.  He wipes the sweat from his forehead, and looks over to see Corliss approaching, Riko in her arms.

"You're bringing Riko with you?" He asks.

"Why not?" Corliss says.  "You want her to stay with you?  I'm sure it'll get lonely here while I'm gone."

"No, I'll be fine, Corliss." Rylos answers.  "Besides.  You know I'm not the biggest fan of cats."

"Thought so," Corliss says, smiling.  Riko purrs.  Rylos turns to the cart, filled with crates.

"I already loaded your things you'll need," Rylos says.  "Clothes and stuff.  It's... somewhere in here.  We'll look through it once we get to town."

"Wouldn't wanna go to school and only have vegetables," Corliss says.  Rylos laughs.

"No you would not," Rylos agrees.  "Alright.  Is that everything?"  Corliss thinks.