Think Outside the Box Time

With the time I have left, I decide to work on the problem. Even though I know I'm not going to finish it, I want to try to get as many points as I can from it. I steal nervous glances at Karma as he works on the same problem, noting how hard he is thinking. I start solving, gaining confidence as I go. Maybe I can solve it! Then I hit a roadblock. That can't be the answer, right?! I frustratedly erase my work. I catch Isogai's eyes as he shoots me a concerned look. Taking the three seconds I did to simply look at him help me calm down, even if by a small amount. I take a deep breath and smile at him. He reluctantly looks away, focusing on his own work.

I reread the problem, trying not to think about the time limit. Wait a second... Did I really miss that? The wording is kinda weird, so I guess it's not that surprising, but if I'm right this is surprisingly simple. Well, I only have a couple minutes left and this is better than nothing. I guess I'll just go with it. I finish writing in the ratio seconds before the time limit ends.

"Pencils down!" The teacher says, the end of school bell chiming merges with the end of his sentence. "Please remain seated and pass your tests forward." He waits, eyes raking over us until he receives all the papers. Then he flips through the papers agonizingly slow, making sure each one is accounted for. Scowling, he sets them on his desk. "You're dismissed." He says simply.

We all push ourselves out of our seats and quickly head for the door. Due to today being dedicated to testing, we have no belongings to pack up. As soon as I'm out of the room, I let out a sigh of relief.

"What was that for?" Maehara snickers.

"What do you think? Aren't you glad to have that over?" I say.

"I think we all are..." Okano says, stretching.

"Yeah, it does not feel good to stay sitting that long." Kataoka says.

"And the problems were about ten times harder than the midterms." I groan.

"Well you're smart. How do you think I feel?" Maehara says, elbowing me.

"You still probably did better in social studies than me. Maybe even Japanese, too..." I say.

"Don't doubt yourself. You did great during all of our study sessions." Isogai, who had previously been watching us quietly, says.

"Thanks, but I still had half a page left when the timer ended." I point out.

"Most of us did. Besides, you should stay optimistic. It's possible that you got all the ones you answered correct." Isogai says.

"I hope so, or I definitely won't be in the top fifty." I say.

"You are so overreacting. With your grades in everything else, you'd probably make it even with a zero in social studies." Okano says.

"Plus, you were the only one that scored in the top fifty during our first midterms, and we didn't even take our studying seriously then." Kataoka adds.

"I'm glad you all believe in me." I say.

"Of course we do." Isogai says kindly.

"Enough test talk. Let's celebrate!" Maehara says, bursting outside while we laugh at him.

After the weekend passes, we're back in class and ready to see our scores.

"Now then, class, I'll be returning your papers—an evaluation of your growth. Did your second blades manage to reach their targets?" Korosensei addresses us from the front of the class, several of his tentacles occupied with a folder for each subject. He opens one of the folders to reveal a thick stack of papers. Then his eyes narrow and his smile broadens. "No grumbling about a point here or there, now." He says teasingly. Then he takes off, continuing to speak as he distributes all of our papers. "We had only one goal going into it: for all of you to do well enough to get into the top fifty overall."