CHAPTER FIVE

_________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

LETTING OUT A SMALL SIGH, THE brunette returned her gaze down to her hands, thumb swiping over the neatly engraved A with a frown.

"That was awfully kind of you."

  Freezing in surprise, Colette shoved the snitch into her pocket. "You startled me." She blinked, averting her gaze away from his as she stood up.

"I didn't mean to, sunshine." The long haired boy joked with a charming smile only to be met with an annoyed roll of brown eyes.

   "Did you eavesdrop on our conversation?"

   "Of course I didn't. Why would I eavesdrop on your conversation when you don't even know my name yet?"

   "Are you implying that if I did know your name, you would've continued to listen?" Colette said, raising an eyebrow up at him. "You introduced yourself this morning."

   "I knew that." He shoved his hands into his pockets. "I just assumed you've forgotten."

   "Why would you think that?"

   "You didn't talk to me after our run in."

    "I'm sorry, but like you just said, I don't even know you. Why would I talk to you?"

    "You know my name, I reckon that's more than enough for you to talk to me." He nodded towards her, a smile pulling at the corners of his lips.

   Furrowing her eyebrows, she looked in between his unwavering gray eyes before shaking her head. "Where are you going with this, Black?"

   "Going with that?" Raising his eyebrows, mocking cluelessness, he tilted his head to the side.

   "With this pointless conversation."

   "I'd tell you, but you don't seem like the kind to enjoy straightforwardness." Sirius said, faux hesitance on his face.

    "Okay." She shrugged, turning around to leave, ignoring the stares from the students now littering the red couches.

    Eyebrows shooting up in surprise, the boy quickly leaned over and gently grabbed her elbow. "Hey, hold on for a second."

    "What do you want?" She huffed, pushing his hand off her arm.

     "For you to go on a date with me."

     Pausing for a second, Colette's eyes squinted up at him before scoffing. "Your tie is basically off, your buttons are messily put together, your shirt is untucked and your hair is unruly, although that might just be the way you keep it."

     "Hey!" He frowned, his hands shooting up to gingerly touch his hair.

     "If you're going to ask any girl out, at least make yourself the slightest bit decent." She chastised, nodding towards his first few, completely missed buttons. "It's embarrassing really." She shook her head.

_________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

"Is it really that surprising if a girl refuses your advances?" Remus shook his head, running an annoyed hand through his already messy hair at his friend's whining.

    "Yeah it is, Rem!" He groaned, stabbing his fork into the eggs on his plate.

   "I mean, she did just get here. Maybe she just needs some time to adjust." Peter shrugged, glancing away from his messy botany book.

    "Or maybe she just doesn't like you." James snickered behind his goblet, giving his friend a teasing look behind his circular glasses.

     Letting out a small hum, Peter tilted his head in thought. "Or maybe there's somebody else?"

     "What?" Sirius scoffed, squinting his eyes in offense.

     Raising his eyebrows in interest, James leaned forward. "You think she already has a boyfriend?"

     "Maybe." He shrugged. "Yesterday after herbology I saw one of the Prewett twins, I think it was Gideon...or actually Fabian, his eyes are greener. But I was also a fair distance away so perhaps it was a trick of the light-"

      "Peter." The black haired boy huffed, laying his hands flat on the table with an annoyed glint in his eyes. "Get on with it."

     "Sorry." He chuckled sheepishly. "It looked like he asked her out, but I saw her shaking her head."

     "At least we know you're not the problem. She's probably upset that she had to leave her boyfriend, " James shrugged, scarfing down the bacon in his hands before slowly glancing up at the glare Sirius' was giving him with a scared smile. "Whoever the annoying bugger is?"

      Rolling his eyes at his friends, Remus shook his head before nodding towards the entrance. "Well here comes your girl."

      "Wait, why don't you refer to Lily as "my girl?" James furrowed his eyebrows, wiping his mouth.

     "Shut up James, she's walking over here!" He quickly ran a hand through his hair, turning on the bench. "Hey-"

     The three boys couldn't contain their laughter as they watched the girl walk past their dark haired friend, completely ignoring him. "I think she's head over heels for you, mate."

     "That might be an understatement." Remus snorted, Peter leaning onto his shoulder for support at Sirius' huff.

     "She ignored me to go talk to my brother?" He scoffed, furrowing his eyebrows at the sight of the two.

     "They're awfully friendly." James nodded with a hum. "You reckon she's gotten any closer to Lily?"

     "They're roommates, I'd hope so." Peter shrugged.

      "Can you three just mind your business." Remus sighed, taking a sip of his herbal tea. "Sirius, don't."

      "Why not?" He shrugged, pulling out his wand. "I reckon she's the one who messed with our food after the ceremony."

      "You can't just say she did it because she doesn't like you." Remus said, rolling his eyes for the umpteenth time that morning.

     Instead of replying, he muttered a quiet "auguamenti," carefully aiming his wand at the girl conversing with Lily. The two dark haired boys' quiet giggles turned into muffled gasps as strong streams of water hit them in their faces.

     "Wow! She knows wandless magic?" Peter gasped, glancing between a laughing Colette and Lily, and a soaked Sirius and James with wide eyes.

      "You really got her good, mate." Remus snorted, handing the shocked boys napkins.

     "What-how'd she do that?" He gaped, shaking his now wet hair.

       "She knows wandless magic." Peter said, his eyes moving from her doubled over frame to glance at Sirius.

     "That explains how she tripped the boy when her wand got confiscated." Remus hummed, packing his bag.

     "Bloody hell, Sirius!" James exclaimed excitedly, wiping the wet strands of hair off his forehead. "We'd be able to take our pranks to the next level with her help!"

    "James, seri-" He began only to drop his hands from his hair. "James, you are brilliant."

     "What's going on?" The dirty blonde boy furrowed his eyebrows as he stared between them.

    "If we get Colette to agree to help us with our pranks then we'll be able to spend time together, whether or not she likes it." Sirius explained excitedly, his smile becoming wide.

     "I really hope you're hearing yourself right now."

    "Hearing how much of an opportunist I am? Yeah, absolutely."