17. The bank robbery

"Pushpaji..." Santosh's voice trailed off as she turned to the woman seated to her left, gently blowing over her cup of tea.

"Hmm," the woman hummed in response, taking a thoughtful sip from her cup.

"Maddam sir thodi badli badli si nahi lagti aapko?"

In response, the pair turned to face their senior, who was seated on the nearby bench, cup in one hand and the other busily typing on her phone.

Pushpaji shrugged, "Nahi. Humein toh vesi hi lagti hain".

Santosh was continuing with her scrutiny of Haseena when Haseena's phone started to ring, and her face broke into a smile as she looked at the caller ID. Placing the half empty cup on the bench then, she got up and moved away towards the window of her cabin.

"Dekhiye! Dekhiye! Unki smile dekhiye!" Santosh began to shake the Head Constable, who shot her a disdainful look before leaning back to observe Haseena, who was smiling at her phone.

"Haan toh, koi dost hoga na", she remarked finishing her tea.

Santosh twisted her lips in response, "Kya Pushpaji! Dost hota toh aise uthkar kone main thodi jati baat karne!"

Pushpaji couldn't help but shake her head at Santosh's reasoning. "Beta ji, privacy naam ki bhi cheez hoti hai. Aksar insaan doston se hi aisi baatein karta hai jo baaki logon ke saamne nahi kahi jaati. Aur tum toh naye zamane ki ho, itna one track mind kese fir?" Pushpa ji laughed, before walking back inside the thana.

"Mera mind one track nahi hai, maddam sir is behaving differently!" Santosh exhaled deeply before turning her attention to Cheetah, who was occupied in playful banter with Badnaam, alongside Iqbal.

"Tu bata Cheetah, tera mahila manovigyan kya kehta hai?"

"Hain....ji Santu ji!" Cheetah immediately halted his goofy activities, quickly joining Santosh on the bench.

"Maddam sir ko dekhkar tujhe kya lagta hai?"

He followed his akhand crush's eyes to find their senior talking on the phone, while leaning against the wall.

Haseena's soft smile lingered as she nodded, an expression of restrained endearment filling her far-off gaze.

Cheetah replied, "Hamara mahila manovigyan kehta hai ki maddam sir ka apne aap se ek ladai chal raha hai".

Santosh's brows furrowed at that, and she groaned, "Kya yaar cheetah! Ab ye ladai kahan se aa gayi. Ladai chalti toh dikhti na!".

"Uff ye masoomiyat, Santu ji!"He looked on with heart-filled eyes as she glared back and walked away, him trailing behind like the love-struck fool he was.

Haseena observed her juniors hurrying into the station, her attention on the voice from the phone's other end.

"That means you could get approval from the DM," Haseena responded, while the individual on the line nodded, walking through the recently renovated pathshala washrooms.

"Ji, aasar lag rahe hain humein. Vese bhi humein gyaat hua hai ki kendra ne shiksha pranali main vikas ke liye haal hi main, pradesh ko sahayta anudaan diya hai", Karishma replied, stepping out of the washroom and going towards the watercooler.

Haseena quickly googled the english of sahayta anudan and laughed as the meaning popped up. Grant in aid.

"Aap aur aapki shudh hindi, Ms. Singh!"

Karishma sensed the smile in Haseena's voice, and it filled her heart with warmth, knowing she was the cause of that joy.

"Haan toh hum toh nahi kehte, aap aur aapka urdu, Inspector Sahiba".