CHAPTER 01

[WE'RE SO YOUNG BACK THEN]

MAXIMUS GUNNER

At the age of 11, I was so full of life and bright. I just heard from my teacher about the word Y.O.L.O., or must say, 'you only live once' and believe me,as a blunder type of kid back then,I literally took the word into my soul.

"Is it really okay for us to go into the wild with no first aid and a pack of emergency tools,Max?" With her tiny and soft voice,she spoke. Do take note of the hint of her sarcasm. Why just can't she trust me,for Pete's sake?

I stand close to her and hold her hand tightly. "Oh,I said that too when I was still inexperienced," I said in a blunt tone.

She sighed, and based on the look on her face,she wasn't having fun in the situation she was in. "We're basically walking into unknown territory,Max! I'm not prepared to starve or even get bitten by a wild snake!"

Now she's furious. 

Should we just go back to the cabin?

Nah! This is an adventure not to be wasted. I badly want to see the fountain near here—I mean, in the distance. I know Flare is having nothing but worry about this sudden trip just for the both of us, but! At some point,if we arrive there and see the breath-taking waterfall hidden here in the woods, she'll be thanking me for my mighty.

Be positive...

"Come on, Flare. I promise, I'll protect you with this unbeatable fist of mine. Trust me, we'll be alright," Cogently said.

At this point, I heard her sigh, which meant she had given up all her negative thoughts and agreed with me. 

And once again,we continued with our long journey in the woods.

Flare and I made friends just this morning. I must say she got attracted to me in many ways, and I don't blame her. There's a vacation house provided by the Zoo Camp. We're basically here just to see some wild animals, but eventually I grabbed Flare's hand and invited her to come with me. She was interested because I mentioned the waterfall. She loves nature; that's why. But, however,she didn't ask me if I really knew the path. I said, 'I knew' but I just took a bit of peeking with the map that I found inside the zookeeper's cabin, and now we're here.

I just wish that Flare's parents were as friendly as my mother and father are.

After awhile, after an hour of walking into the woods,we finally found it.

We both gasped in awe at the beautiful waterfall we saw. 

As I compliment the waterfall,I swiftly turn my gaze towards Flare, who is stunned by the nature we just found. She smiled enough for me to fall from the skies. My heart beat rose, and as I felt my cheeks in heat,. 

How could the simple smile of this girl turn me like this?

I'm a kid, that's why.

"Max,look! The water's cold and refreshing and also clear like a crystal. The birds are chirping like they're in joy. Amazing, right?"

She said this as she walked near the water. She even touched and felt the water. 

I showed her my smile. "Yeah," I answered her briefly.

The time was just so great that I didn't expect what happened after a bright and sunny day... There'll always be gloomy and uneasy weather.

"Please! Just focus on your breathing," I said in panic. My sweat was running down my cheeks and body, and my knees and arms were getting tired. I panted and tried to catch some air while I was on adrenaline. 

I carried her on my back and ran with all my force and strength. She was having a hard time breathing,like any second now she'll stop passing out. 

She said she felt dizzy, and then the next thing I noticed was that she was totally lost in motion. She asked me for her inhaler, but I had nothing in my pocket; maybe I dropped it,which would be so bad of me.

I felt my cheeks heat up, and so did my body. My tears won't stop spitting because I cannot seem to shrug off the worry and anger within me.

"Flare?! Answer me, ! please!" I called her desperately. I was beseeching no one for her to be saved.

"M-max," she muttered.

We arrived at the cabin and called her parents. Later on, the ambulance arrived. I saw how her parents lost their sanity, seeing that their daughter was no longer breathing. 

I stand by the side, panting, but more likely staring at the situation that I have caused. I blamed myself. I'll never forgive myself if anything happens to her.

My mom and dad hugged me; maybe they felt sympathy. They didn't know Flare,my new friend, but they knew that I was the cause of all of this. 

As we arrived at home, I waited for my mother and father to lash out at me. Blame me and punish me brutally. But instead, they just ground me and explained to me the whole situation afterwards.

Mommy contacted the mother of Flare to ask how she was doing. According to my mother, Flare has heart disease. She was born with. She was not allowed to go outside for too long, and she was not allowed to be tired; it'd cause her great pain, and now that's happening.

They were at the zoo with her family because Flare wanted to unwind, but suddenly Flare went outside without her parents. She basically sneaked out, and then there she met me in front of the cage of lions. 

"Mom,will Flare be alright?" I ask with a small voice. I was still ashamed of what I had done.

My mom caressed my cheek with her sad expression. "She will, honey. She'll recover. It wasn't your fault,do you understand?"

I nodded and headed into my room with a heavy heart. I locked the door and cried.

A week has passed, and I'm starting to retrieve the energy that I lost. I wanted to be bright again for me to have the courage to see and apologize to Flare by myself.

I want to say I'm sorry to her and her family.

I prepared a small gift for her, such as a necklace put inside a small velvet box, flowers, and a basket full of fruits. I also blew out five balloons for her.

I was so ready. I felt so gallant.

But then.... When you thought the rain stopped pouring,then it came.

"I'm sorry, honey, but...Flare went to the States. She's no more in the Philippines."

They ran to a faraway continent, and they didn't even hear my apology. I felt so terrible. I really hoped that Flare didn't hold grudges against me. If she did, then she had the right.

Back to the situation where Flare was in pain in her chest and was having a hard time breathing. I did nothing because I knew nothing.

If I could turn back time,I would learn and teach myself how to save her. But I know it'll be impossible. I can't turn time; I can't build a time machine; I just cannot.

"What's your dream,Flare?"

"I wanted to be a doctor someday... I want to be the salvation of others."

Doctor,indeed..

∆WINTERJAMM∆