The Surprise

Splash, splash, the water rolled up on the perfect white sand, the only sound on the quiet beach. Tsunami looked up at the sunrise, brushing her talons through the wet sand, feeling it in between her claws.

Usually, she hated waking up early; but today was special. She had woken up early in the night with an aching pain in her stomach. She had been dreaming of her and Riptide's wedding. It was on this very beach, officiated by her best friend Sunny. A small event, only close friends and family. Her mother, who had not approved, was not invited, but all of her siblings were. Her best friends Clay, Glory and Starflight were invited of course along with Peril, Deathbringer and Fatespeaker. Clay and Peril's wedding was a few months before, and they were expecting dragonets. And only close friends knew that Glory and Deathbringer were dating. Starflight and Fatespeaker were engaged, but it was practically Fatespeaker who proposed. 

Tsunami smiled thinking of it. She usually would roll her eyes, because Fatespeaker was so, well... she didn't know how to put it. But this morning she was in a good mood. 

She had to wait for Riptide to wake up, and come out of their small hut up on the grass. They were settled on a island on the northeast side of the Sea Kingdom. It was tiny, with beaches all around and some grass and trees in the centre, plus a little tiny pond. But to Tsunami, it was the perfect paradise. It was home. 

She heard Riptide's signature waking-up-yawn and suddenly a wave of nervousness rushed through her. How would he react? She had big news. Knowing he'd be a few minutes, to calm herself, she flew upwards then dove into the ocean. 

As soon as she hit the surface, she immediatly smiled. She loved the ocean. The smell, the sight, and the feel of the cold water rushing past her scales. She flipped and swam with the dolphins and schools of fish for a few minutes happily before rising to the surface and climbing out onto the beach. She turned back to the ocean for a moment and gazed at the rising sun making the water sparkle, then shook off the water from her scales.

"Hey!" She heard a voice behind her. 

She whipped around, a grin spreading across her snout. She had splashed Riptide. "Well, maybe if you weren't standing there, squidbrain!" She nudged him with her tail playfully. 

He smiled. "Good morning, Tsunami."

"Morning," she replied, then she remembered. Her features twisted slightly from worry.

"Tsunami? Are you okay?" Riptide scanned her for injury. 

"What? Oh, yes, yes. I'm fine," she relaxed her face. 

Can't put it off forever, Tsunami. Come on. What's the worst he can say?

Well, I mean- DON'T think about that. Nope. 

"Actually, there is something. Something I want to tell you," Tsunami added. 

"What is it?" Riptide asked gently. 

"I...I... you.. we... um-uh-" Tsunami struggled for words. Riptide frowned. He had never seen his wife like this. 

She took a deep breath. "We're going to have a dragonet." She cringed. 

There was a brief moment of silence, then Riptide jumped into the air in happiness, his scales flashing uncontrollably. "Really?!!?!"

Tsumami nodded, grinning, relieved.

"I'M GOING TO BE A DAD!! TSUNAMI!! WE'RE GOING TO BE PARENTS!!!!" Riptide swooped and soared, then landed and hugged Tsunami. "This is amazing!!! I'm so happy!"

Tsunami smiled and hugged him back. "Me too," she whispered. 

Hi! Sorry the part was so short- I didn't want to flip to another couple given that this chapter is especially about Ripnami. (Yay!)