Chapter 5

"Come on in" Jack said to me, stepping out of the way so I could walk into the familiar house. 

I walked in and slipped off my converse, spinning around again to face Jack. I could hear Weezer playing out of the sound system in the living room and I started to get excited, trying to push Ian out of my head. 

"You look great" Jack said, looking down at his feet, "do you want a beer?"

"Oh no I brought some Jack Daniels actually" I said, pulling the bottle out of the brown paper bag it came in. 

"A girl who likes her Jack, damn. Come on I'll get you a glass then" he said, grabbing my hand and walking me to the kitchen. 

He pulled out a small clear glass, and walked over to the freezer to fill it with ice. After handing it to me, he grabbed a beer for himself out of the fridge and twisted the cap off, taking a sip. 

"I parked my car in your driveway, I hope you don't mind" I said, pouring a genourous splash of whiskey into my glass. 

"Not at all. Alex's is within walking distance of here so we won't have to cab or anything. So you had a rough day then?" he asked, taking another swig of beer. 

"Wasn't the best, lets hope tonights better" I said, raising my glass. 

We moved into the living room, and started talking about everything, tv shows, music, our friends and half an hour flew by. I forgot how easily conversation flowed between us, it was refreshing beause socializing wasn't always my strong suit. It was almost ten but Jack reassured me that there wasn't any rush, the guys partied late. I lifted my hand to brush a piece of hair out of my face when Jack's eyes locked onto my wrist. He shot me a puzzled look and reached over to grab my arm. 

"What?" I asked, confused. 

"Your arm is bruised Sutton, what happened?" he asked, taking a closer look. 

He matched his finger marks to the ones that were beginning to bruise on my arm. Dammnit Ian. 

I pulled my arm away, and looked down at my hands. 

"Who did that to you?" he insisted. 

All I could do was look into his eyes, I was at a loss for words. It was obvious someone had used a lot of force to leave a bruise like that. I should have noticed it and worn a long sleeve instead, I was so stupid. 

"Was it that asshole boss of yours?" he pressed. 

"No!" I responded, "I'm fine don't worry about it, please"

"No seriously Sutton that's not okay, who did it to you?" 

I swallowed hard, "Ian" I said, not looking up to see the reaction on his face, "he was waiting for me when I finished work."

I was expecting him to say something but I was suprised when he was silent. I looked up to see that his face had fallen, he looked so upset. 

"I'm fine, seriously" I replied. 

"Why is he breaking the restraining order?" he asked after a minute. 

"I don't know" I answered truthfully. 

"Why do you have a restraining order out against him?" 

"He has a bad temper" I responded. 

"Did he hit you?" 

My silence answered his question, and he got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen. I stood up and followed him, trying to keep my balance; the alcohol was already going to right to my head.