preface

Dreams are messages from the deep.

But with these dreams must come the knowledge to interpret them.

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌑 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

This is the story of a love that came through a fatal decision.

And it starts... with the moon.

(Y/N) (M/N) (L/N) WAS BORN IN THE YEAR 10171 on the waxing crescent phase that depicts the great controller of the ocean in the night sky.

By the time she was five, she was running around and making everyone smile just by her presence. At ten, she could climb trees and was learning to wield a weapon—carefully. By sixteen, she was already planning strategies for the Ilusek armies that were ready to fight under her command, more so for scouting missions rather than wars.

They haven't lost a fight ever since.

By the age of eighteen, she was ready to be married. Her father, Duke (F/N) of House (L/N), had been exploring potential candidates ever since the family found out she was going to be born a girl. Even with his protective nature as a father and nurturing side, he had a duty to his planet, both politically and in terms of loyalty.

The Ilusek people were protective beyond belief over their lovers, and because of that, (Y/N) wasn't allowed to date. She was shunned from falling in love, but either way, she wasn't one to go run off with a common boy, no matter how sweet he was. Her duty was to do what her heart chose, and it said that one day, the right man would come.

And hopefully, take her away from this mess of arrangements.

Her prayers, both fortunately and unfortunately, were answered. As the next Duchess of her House, (Y/N) had no choice but to either choose someone of high ranking in her people or choose one of the candidates picked by her father that would bring a well-worth-the-wait ally to the family. Least to say, the daughter of the forest dwellers had no choice but to go through whatever meetings her father prepared with her 'future husbands'.

She refused to see any of them. 

Well, after the first three, that is. 

All of them were heirs to their own Houses, and yet the first few made her realize a lot of them were going to be the same: marrying just for political gain and keeping it that way, marrying for an heir the woman would definitely refuse to have, or the typical snobbish and stuck-up lord who she really wanted to punch.

Tired of everything, as she sat in her room, she looked out at the window that had a gorgeous view of the stars. The night was both an advantage to her people and yet, it was the only time she could actually relax.

She didn't want to marry a man she didn't love. Which was literally the whole point of her arranged marriage, much to her parents' disapproval.

She wanted to marry for a future. A future with her husband that can lead to something greater. Not just a loveless roomate-type-of-living. She wanted a man to sweep her off her feet with swoon-worthy praise and yet remain independent on her own terms. She didn't need a man to rule her planet; she could do it on her own.

Yet, the hopeless romantic in her was craving the attention she never got to have growing up. Something far deeper than just parental love.

"(Y/N), darling," her mother breaks the silence she was basking in as she enters her daughter's room.

Looking back at the Duchess, she merely tears her gaze away. Something was wrong, and her mother could feel it. Duchess (M/N) sighs deeply as she steps forward to sit on the bed, watching her daughter swing back and forth in a hammock that's been attached to the ceiling, bookshelves lining the walls with fiction and the history of the planets alike, as well as drawings.

"I know this has been tough for you," she starts, and (Y/N) knows there's a 'but' coming, "But—" there it is "—your father and I... have chosen a husband for you."

"What?!" (Y/N)'s suddenly startled and almost horrified tone causes her mother to flinch, expecting such a reaction as she can read the underlying anger without having to look her in the eye. "I'm not marrying whoever you picked!"

"(Y/N), you are the next Duchess, we need this marriage to go through," (M/N) says a little firmly, trying to get her daughter to listen, but as her head whips around, it's clear she won't.

"I don't need a man, Mom!" She hisses, (E/C) sclera now ablaze in anger with underlying hurt. "I can rule Sukari on my own."

"End of discussion, flower, you will marry this man for the sake of your people and our future!"

"A man who will probably end up being another disgrace," she says under her breath in her native language, but her mother's sharp ears catch her daughter's mumbling.

"Don't you use that tone with me, (Y/N) (M/N)," the Duchess sternly says, causing her daughter to sigh, prompting the ruler to calm down. "Flower, please. It's for the best."

"For the best would be the choosing of my husband by my choice!"

"What if you married a commoner? What then?" (M/N) questions like her daughter has grown a second head and disgraced the family name. "What if there's an illegitimate child—"

"—Mom!—"

"—No, young lady, I will not have you run off from your duties! You are marrying this boy." Standing as (Y/N) clenches a fist and contemplates the sickening idea, she glares daggers out the window to avoid snapping at her mother.

(M/N)'s footsteps halt as she pauses in the doorway, murmuring: "I've left his file on your desk from his parents. His parents are... looking forward to this, darling." Her tone softens, but she doesn't look back. "Consider it... for our sake."

(Y/N) glances in the direction of her mother as she leaves, shifting before looking over at where the papers are. Letters, from the family, as well as some kind of 'documentation' to give a picture on his personality. With a heavy heart and a weighing decision to make, she takes the papers and looks through them.

'To Duke (F/N) of House (L/N),

I am quite interested in your proposal for this marriage. As you know, my son is to take my place as Duke once the time comes, and it would be very beneficial if your daughter was by his side. She seems like a lovely woman from what I have heard, and I believe they will be a good match. We will keep an open mind in this, but the words of the Dukes are final, and I say: let this marriage commence.

If your people are who they claim to be besides herbologists, then our alliance will strengthen both House Atreides and House (L/N). A balance that will hang for many generations to come if we are given an heir.

With all the best, 

Duke Leto of House Atreides.'

With a sigh, (Y/N) begins to shuffle through the papers and try to get a grasp on who her husband is, and the time goes deep into the night as it progresses. If she had to marry this 'Paul Atreides', then all she could hope was that he was different from the others.

Little did she know, he'd become the very man she didn't know she needed until now.