ONE , THE INCEST MAP

               IT WAS THE first day back to school after the holidays, an exciting day for Eden, who had spent the entire summer hooking up with a boy her age

               IT WAS THE first day back to school after the holidays, an exciting day for Eden, who had spent the entire summer hooking up with a boy her age. She was elated that it was finally with someone who didn't attend her school or know the same people as her, as she was done with the drama and gossip.

As she finished up her makeup in her room, a familiar call from her mother interrupted her thoughts. Eden's relationship with her parents had always been strained; their demanding careers left her to navigate adolescence largely on her own. Yet, their frequent absences did allow for some unforgettable parties, a silver lining in an otherwise distant relationship.

"Eden, come here for a sec," her mother's voice echoed through the house, drawing Eden begrudgingly to the kitchen, her bag slung over her shoulder.

"Yeah, what's up, Mom?" Eden responded, a hint of annoyance creeping into her voice as she made her way to the kitchen.

"Here, have some food before you go to school. You've been looking really skinny recently," her mother's concern was evident, though it elicited little more than an eye roll from Eden, who muttered a retort under her breath, 'like you even fucking care'.

"What was that, Eden?" her mother's sharp tone betrayed a hint of hurt, prompting Eden to hastily backtrack.

"Nothing," she replied dismissively, eager to escape the tension that hung in the air. A honk from outside signaled Missy's arrival, and Eden seized the opportunity to make her exit.

"Please, just take a piece of fruit or something with you," her mother implored, extending an apple towards her. Eden offered a half-hearted smile in response, accepting the fruit more out of habit than genuine desire.

With a hurried goodbye, Eden made her way to the waiting car, discarding the apple in a nearby bin without a second thought. Missy's enthusiastic greeting drew a chuckle from Eden as she settled into the passenger seat, ready to leave the complications of home behind for the familiar chaos of high school.