Chapter 3

Beep... Beep... Beep...

That's all I heard. Was that same noise over and over again. My whole body was numb, my mind so clear. But something bothered me. It was as if it was trying to tell me something was wrong. I could feel like something was but I couldn't exactly be sure of it.

"And here you go, one caramel sundae," Beth's voice boomed.

"Thanks. So do you think she'll finally waken up today?" My brother, Blake, replied.

"The doctors said they weren't sure, they had to come in and check her again."

"It's just been three months and I'm beginning to worry."

"They've kept you updated on her condition and she has improved dramatically, so there are signs of life there."

"It's not just that, Beth. She's my sister. The youngest one out of all of us, so to see her in this state, it's not very nice. Especially when we were to protect her. It was one of the last things our parents said to Naomi and I.'Protect Niamh at all times. She might be a fighter but she's just so weak.' And I know those words shouldn't be in play now but they are."

"Blake, you don't know the hell he put her through. No one does. Hell, I don't know what Joel's playing at."
"I know one thing, when I get my hands on him, he's dead," Blake seethed.

My eyes fluttered open. While my eyes got adjusted to the bright lights, I took a minute to recall the last memory I could remember. But none came. All I could think of was the dream. The random dream that I was dating Miguel Manuela. That he'd dumped Alissa for me. There's no chance he'd ever take a chance at someone like me. I was just a fat lump who couldn't lose the weight even if I tried.

After my eyes adjusted, I laid my eyes upon my brother and my best friend. Their faces held shocked expressions, like they weren't expecting me to waken up today or ever.

"Water please!" I croaked in a hoarse voice.

Blake handed me one and as I took a long sip, the dream kept repeating itself. Who was this random person that "kidnapped" me? Who was Miguel Manuela really? Thing is, I can't actually remember anyone or anything. Other than what happened in the dream I had while I was out of things. Seemingly.

"Who's Joel?" I asked, once I had a less hoarse voice.

"Don't worry about that just now. I need to go get the nurse and tell her you're awake," Blake said before scurrying off.

"Who's Joel?" I asked Beth.

"We'll tell you once the nurse has been. Just don't worry about."

"What happened to me?"

"You were in a coma, Niamh."

"For how long?"

"Three months."

"So, how?"

"How what?"

"How did I end up in a coma?"

"You were beat," Blake said entering the room.

"I was beaten?" I asked confused.

"Joel, your ex-boyfriend, was domestically abusing you."

"Who's Joel?"

"He was a guy you were seeing romantically. He's in prison now. So he has no control over you anymore."

"Did our parents die and leave me a house?" I questioned.

"Yeah. Buttons has also been fed and watered every day you've been in here," Blake commented.