Some Assembly Required- 1

Lucy's POV

"W-what I'm proposing is, um

"W-what I'm proposing is, um..." I heard Giles muttering as Buffy, Xander and I walked into the library. "and I-I don't mean to appear indecorous, is, is, um, a, a social engagement, um, a, a date, if you're amendable. You idiot!"

"Boy..." Buffy interrupted Giles asking a chair out, scaring him. "I guess we never realised how much you like that chair."

"Aww, don't make fun Buffy. I think it's sad when people get so old they start looking for company in absolutely anything." I 'scolded'.

"I-I was just working on..."

"Your pickup lines?"

"Um, in a manner of speaking, yes."

"Then if you wouldn't mind a little Gene and Roger, you might wanna leave off the 'idiot' part. Being called an idiot tends to take people out of the dating mood."

"Hmm, it actually kinda turns me on." Xander turned to both of us, shrugging.

"I fear you." Buffy said, giving Xander a weird look.

"I kind of want to insult you now, but I'm scared to. Well played." I complimented Xander as we both shook hands.

"You also might wanna avoid words like 'amenable' and 'indecorous', you know. Speak English, not whatever they speak in, um..."

"England?" Giles and I asked at the same time.

"Yeah. You just say, 'Hey, I got a thing, you maybe have a thing, maybe we could have a thing.'"

"Oh, thank you, Cyrano." Giles replied sarcastically.

"I'm not finished. Then you say, 'How do you feel about Mexican?'"

"About Mexicans?"

"Mexican. Food. You take her for food, for which you then pay."

"Oh. Right."

"So this chair-woman. We are talking Ms. Calendar, right?"

"Obviously." I agreed, knowing how flustered Giles got whenever he was around her.

"What makes you think that?"

"Simple deduction. Ms. Calendar is reasonably dollsome, especially for someone in your age bracket. She already knows that you're a school librarian, so you don't have to worry about how to break that embarrassing news to her."

"And she's the only woman we've actually ever seen speak to you. Add it all up and it all spells 'duh'."

"Now, is it time to have a talk about the facts of life?"

"You know, I'm suddenly deciding this is none of your business."

"And not at all in your area of expertise." I smirked at Xander who glared at me.