A Stubborn Elf

Somewhere in the palace of Hykeln

"No, I will not!" Aelfric shouted at his father, who was trying to convince him into taking his place as king.

"My son, you must. It is your legacy!" King Haldir sighed tiredly.

"Why must it be me? Surely it could just as easily be Algar," Aelfric blurted out, knowing he'd crossed a line.

Algar was his brother who'd been kidnapped when he was only 2 years old in human years. No one in the elven kingdom knew where he was, or whether he was even alive, despite the king and queen spending many years sending guards out to find the lost prince.

"It's late, Aelfric. We'll continue this tomorrow," his father brushed him off coldy.

The blonde prince stormed to his room to collect his belongings. In reckless anger, he made the decision that if he could not persuade his father to listen to him, he would find a way to escape the coronation. He could not abandon his love, Evelyn, for his country. Since he was an elven prince, he was forbidden from marrying a human, as it would be shameful to have a peredhil on the throne. He would have to venture to Zuania, the land where humans resided, to finally find his elder brother, the true heir, and inform him of his rightful place to the throne. 

Then, maybe father will be grateful to me, for once, Aelfric thought bitterly to himself.