Meeting a friend

The next morning, in a kind elf's tree

"Leaf, you have a visitor," the elf's sister called out from the kitchen, which sat on the first floor of the elven tree they lived in.

Leaf hurried down the rickety, narrow staircase and opened the ligneous door to find his old friend, the prince.

The two had been inseparable ever since they were in an archery competition as teenagers. Aelfric had been the most prepared elf there whereas Leaf was only there because of a deal they'd made beforehand that if either of them won, they'd have to climb to the tallest tree in Hykeln. Naturally, Aelfric won but in good spirit, they both climbed up the tree together and faced the consequences of having to clean the King's house, which stood taller than the tree itself.

"Hello my dear friend!" Leaf began before seeing the solemn expression on Aelfric's face.

"I am afraid we have little time to talk, mellon nin. I must take leave by sunset," the elf prince announced sadly.

"And why is this? Hast your father sent you on a quest?"

"Quite the opposite, in fact. He demands I take over his kingship, which I refuse as this means I would not be able to marry my love, Evelyn."

"Where do you plan to go?"

"Zuania."

Leaf's eyes widened. Zuania was what the humans called their land across the ocean. He knew of Aelfric and Evelyn's meeting, which I shall explain in time, but he did not believe Aelfric would ever dare travel to her homeland himself.

Aelfric stared into his friend's eyes with sympathy before patting him on the shoulder and beginning to exit from the front door.

"Wait," Leaf stopped him abruptly.

"I shall come with you."

"No, no my friend. This is something I must do on my own. It is too dangerous for a town elf like you," the prince meant kindly but Leaf knew he couldn't just leave him there. To be a peaceful, working elf for the rest of his days.

However, as well as being loyal to his friend, Leaf also had his own motives to travel to the human Kingdom. Though he would never dare go alone, now he knew he could go with the king's own son, this was a perfect moment.

"My lord, I beg of you. I have to say I am not quite as clumsy as I may have once been with a bow and arrow upon our first meeting. I shall not let you venture all the way with no assistance."

Aelfric frowned. He only called him "my lord" when he was being very serious.

"Well, if you truly insist. If you are to go, however, we must leave at once to the river. This is where we can make camp without the risk of my father spotting us."

Leaf understood-this had to be a secret journey.