eleven

➳༻❀ September 2020 ❀༺➳

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ article ˗ˋˏ ˎˊ˗

EGOT Winner Luna Jackson Releases a Surprise EP

LA TIMES

written by: Johanna Mallark

While many of us have spent our quarantines binge watching tv shows, America's sweetheart, Luna Jackson, has been busy working on her EP that was just released last night at 12:00 EST. Despite already having 3 Grammys to her name, this the actress's first independent project.

She within the EP, she released six songs: we're not alike, tongue tied, love is embarrassing, word vomit, i wish i hated you, and the boy is mine. While most of the songs have a fun pop beat and catchy lyrics that are bound to be stuck in your head, i wish i hated you and word vomit both allow Jackson's amazing voice and range to shine, which she has been known for since the release of Praying.

While we don't know what was running through Jackson's head while she was writing these songs, here's our ranking and best guess of what these songs are about:

#6 the boy is mine

Though there are no bad songs on this EP, something had to go last. the boy is mine is a modern rendition of Brandy and Monica's 90s hit with the same name. While it can't replace the original, it's a fun dance pop song that clearly stakes her claim on whoever Jackson has feelings for or is in a relationship with.

#5 we're not alike

In this song, Jackson is singing about a betrayal. It's known the actress has bad blood with her parents, as she has been emancipated for over a year. This song could be a letter to them, or the singer could be talking about a treacherous friendship. Nevertheless, the track is another upbeat song to belt in your car.

#4 tongue tied

tongue tied is the first love declaration in the EP, and its unique and fun sounds earn it solid place above the last two songs. Apparently the songstress has strong feelings for someone in her life. We wonder who it is?

#3 love is embarrassing

The second love declaration is slotted immediately after tongue tied both on the track list and our review. This song expresses the delusions and embarrassment that almost everyone feels after having a crush.

#2 word vomit

In her instagram post announcing the EP, Jackson wrote that some of the songs were written from her perspective, but others were taken from her friend's experience. As the actress is only 13 years old and has never been in a confirmed relationship, it's plausible to assume that this song is about one of her friend's past relationships. The song is about the hurt you feel once you find out that someone you loved and trusted cheated on you.

#1 i wish i hated you

Have you ever loved someone so much that betrayed you that you still loved them? If you have, i wish i hated you is the song for you. It's so healing because sometimes you do have to forgive someone to heal yourself, and in that process, you'll find that there were some good memories.

All in all, this EP is a beautiful combination of love and betrayal. It's so sophisticated and innovative that we can't believe that it was written by a 13 year old, but we shouldn't be surprised since she has written Grammy winning hits such Praying and Never Enough before she was even a teenager. We rate this EP a whopping score of 4.9/5 stars.

ENJOY THE RIDE