Where There's a Will, There's a Wave

Summary: Nanami takes Itadori to the beach

"Otouchan, where are we going?" Yuji chirped in the backseat as Nanami continued their journey to the beach. "Is Uncle Gojo going to be there?"

Nanami would never understand what Yuji found so fascinating about Satoru Gojo (the man was an idiot) but he allowed himself a small smile at the boy's excitement. Yuji's pink, fluffy hair twisted this way and that as he wiggled in his car seat in a desperate attempt to look out the window.

"You'll see, Yuji-kun." Nanami repeated for the fifteenth time. "We're almost there. And yes, Gojo-san will be there. So will Fushi-kun."

"Yaayyy!!" Yuji squealed, squeezing his stuffed panda bear tight.

The horizon cut in two as they drove closer and the tree line disappeared. A stark line between blue sky and white sand relaxed Nanami's muscles instantly. Gojo may be a giant child himself, but I can't deny needing a chance to rest from work.

He pulled them into the parking lot and quickly unbuckled Yuji, setting him down after putting on his backpack. Then, he grabbed the cooler and a large umbrella before locking the car.

He chuckled when Yuji stood immobile, staring with awe at the beach stretching before both of them.

"The beach!" Yuji shrieked. "Will we get to swim?!"

"Yes, Yuji-kun. All in good time. First, we have to go find where Gojo-san and Fushi-kun have set up." He started walking while keeping an eye behind him. "Keep up with me."

The little boy was insatiable. He trotted circles around Nanami, babbling the whole way. And when Gojo came into view? Not even a Special Grade would have been able to keep Yuji from speeding headlong towards him.

"UNCLE GOJO!" Yuji squawked, kicking sand up and losing a sandal in the process.

Nanami shook his head with the huff of a chuckle as he found the spot Gojo set up and started setting their things beside it. Fushiguro toddled right up to him.

"Do you need help, Uncle Nananmi?"

Whereas Yuji kept heaps of energy stored up and running constantly, Fushiguro was of a milder temperament. Gojo and Nanami often joked that they adopted the wrong child.

But Nanami wouldn't trade Yuji for anyone or anything.

"I've got it, Fushi-kun. But your offer is appreciated." He praised, before turning to Yuji and Gojo, who already had his son on his shoulders.

"Gojo-san! Bring Yuji over here so I can give him some sunscreen."

"Aaahhh, but we're having so much fun, Nanami!" Gojo laughed as he tromped under the umbrella to him.

"Thank you. Hold still, Yuji-kun."

After the addition of sunscreen and the subtraction of his shirt, Nanami finally stepped out with Yuji towards the ocean. Poor little Yuji had to waddle with all of his floaties, but even that didn't stop his happy squeals.

"Otouchan, swim with me?" Yuji's big brown eyes sparkled up at him.

"You didn't think I'd let you go alone, did you?" Nanami chuckled, wading with him into the salty brine. "Careful. You can't open your eyes underwater here like you can in our pool."

"Why?"

"Because it'll burn your eyes."

"Why?"

"Because there's salt in the water, and it'll burn."

"Why?"

"Because there's a higher saline content in ocean water than there is in your tears."

"But why?"

"That's just how it is, Yuji-kun." Nanami turned Yuji as a large wave crashed into them. Yuji toppled forward and scrambled to get back on his feet, eyes wide. "Whenever the big waves come towards you, turn your back to it. It'll make it easier to stay on your feet."

"Heeeyyy, Nanamiiii!" Gojo whooped to his left, running into the water and body surfing.

He turned and saw Fushiguro standing at the water's edge, dipping his toe into the water and then shaking his foot. His little lip trembled.

"Come on, Fushi-kun. We'll wait for you!" Nanami called out, keeping Yuji at his side while they waited.

Fushiguro hesitated for a moment before hopping into the water. He squeezed his eyes shut and then peeked out, before he smiled, his five-year-old mind starting to realize he wouldn't get sucked in.

When he made it to Nanami and Yuji, he looked for Gojo.

"Where's–"

"WOOOO!" Gojo popped up behind Nanami and whipped up a wave of water that splashed against his back.

Both Yuji and Fushiguro giggled as Nanami slowly turned to the white-haired man child.

"Are you frustrated with me?" Gojo asked with a smirk.

"Never." And Nanami wrapped an arm around Gojo's neck before slamming him into the ocean.

. . . . .

By the time the four boys stepped back towards their beach spot, everyone was hungry and ready for a break. Especially the two little ones.

"I've got watermelon." Nanami offered, pulling out a large container of cut melon.

"I've got kikufuku!" Gojo licked his lips and helped set up two small portions.

"Why am I not surprised?" Nanami shook his head before grabbing Yuji's plate and offering it to him. "And don't forget to stay hydrated." He reminded his son, handing over a small water bottle.

For a time the sound of gentle, lapping waves harmonized with the sound of little mouths munching. Nanami ate a few slices of watermelon and leaned back on his elbows, closing his eyes and letting the wind tousle his hair.

"Nice day, isn't it?" Gojo asked as the kids kept eating.

"A better day than I'd been expecting." Nanami answered, digging his fingers into the sand.

He only opened his eyes when he felt a paper plate nudge his pinky.

"Otouchan, can we build a sand castle?" Yuji asked, eyes round and pleading.

"You finished that quickly, didn't you?" He smiled and took Yuji's plate, stuffing it into a trash bag. Then he tickled his toddler's sides with a huff of a laugh. "Go get your toys and we'll set up over there."

"Okay!"

"Aww, look at youuuu being a good daaaddd!" Gojo taunted, earning him a hair full of sand from his blonde-haired peer. "Hey! That'll be stuck in my hair for days!"

"Serves you right."